Layer7 API Management

• 1.  Custom Fields in CA API Portal

Posted Apr 15, 2015 05:26 AM

I was exploring CA API Portal & came across 'Custom Fields'. Once these fields are created, is there a way to access the field values from Policy Manager? If there is no way to retrieve the fields, what is the use of having these fields in Portal?

• 2.  Re: Custom Fields in CA API Portal

Posted Apr 17, 2015 04:09 PM

Anyone up to the challenge of answering this question?

Thanks!

• 3.  Re: Custom Fields in CA API Portal

Posted Apr 21, 2015 07:37 AM

Anybody has any idea on this, please let me know

• 4.  Re: Custom Fields in CA API Portal

Posted Apr 21, 2015 10:36 AM

From what I understand, the answer is no.  I believe the custom fields only decorate portal views and are not exposed beyond that.  There might be a way to fish them out using a JDBC callout, but I'm not familiar with where they live in the underlying MySQL database.

Can someone verify my thinking?

Thanks,

Alejandro

• 5.  Re: Custom Fields in CA API Portal

Posted Apr 21, 2015 12:07 PM

Hi Abhishek.Subramanya & acalbazana,

It is mentioned in the API Developer Portal User Guide that they...

... are used to capture additional information about developers' organizations and applications in the registration and application forms. When enabled, custom fields appear on the form's Additional Info tab.

I am not aware of a way to expose them beyond the CMS. I believe these values are local to the API Portal and not synchronized back to the API Gateway, thus they would not be accessible from the Policy Manager.

The use for the custom fields would be simply for tracking additional information. For example, perhaps you want to know the Country that a user is registering from, you could add a "Country" custom field, etc.

I hope the above helps clarify its use and answers any questions around if it is exposed to the Policy Manager. Please let me know if I can help clarify anything further.

Sincerely,

Dustin Dauncey

Support Engineer, CA Technologies

Email: API-Support@ca.com

Phone: +1 800 225 5224

Outside of North America - http://www.ca.com/us/worldwide.aspx

• 6.  Re: Custom Fields in CA API Portal

Posted Apr 22, 2015 11:36 AM

I think I have seen the default fields like API Plan and Account Plan (directly or as an ID) in some sample policies, so it seems like there is a way to get that type of info in a policy on the gateway. It just doesn't seem to be documented how to do this.

I think the workaround of pulling them directly from the database should work at least. The portal database is called "lrs" so you will probably find them in there somewhere...

• 7.  Re: Custom Fields in CA API Portal

Posted Apr 28, 2015 08:07 PM

Portal custom field information is stored in different fields in the Portal database depending on the type of information stored:

• Text is stored in cmssmalltextfield
    • Numbers are stored in cmsnumberfield
    • Dates are stored in cmsdatetimefield
    • Special options are stored in cmsoptiontextfield