DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Need to monitor websphere/webmethods

Posted Apr 19, 2015 01:00 AM

Hi Experts

I am new to APM, I have few queries regarding monitoring of webmethods and websphere. I need to monitor application hosted on websphere

1. One application is running on 3 server on round robin basis on websphere, do i need to put agent on all the three websphere, or is there single agent which can monitor all the three application

server, how can best results be achieved for monitoring websphere.

2. To monitor  webmethods what all parameters need to be considered while deploying agent. Do we only need to add soa pbl or any other configurations needs to be added.

Please help..

Thanks

Aryan

• 2.  Re: Need to monitor websphere/webmethods

Posted Apr 20, 2015 11:06 AM

Hi Aryan,

Seeing so many post for same query . Anyways, please find below comments inline. Hope it helps.

1. One application is running on 3 server on round robin basis on websphere, do i need to put agent on all the three websphere, or is there single agent which can monitor all the three application server, how can best results be achieved for monitoring websphere.
    Vaibhav--> Thumb rule is, as many agents are required as many number of JVM instances you need to monitor. So say if each of these 3 servers are having 4 instances, then in total 12 agent(=3servers X 4 instances each) you need to deploy.

2. To monitor  webmethods what all parameters need to be considered while deploying agent. Do we only need to add soa pbl or any other configurations needs to be added.

Vaibhav-->First I need two info to answer this query -

1.What APM version are you using ? [This will help me to direct you the actual guide]

2.What are you trying to monitor ? Is it WebMethods Integration server or WebMethods Broker ?

Regards,

Vaibhav

• 3.  Re: Need to monitor websphere/webmethods
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 20, 2015 12:28 PM

Hello Vaibhav,

Thanks for the reply, so many posts were due to the error moderator has to approve.

1. Application is distributed on three servers but at a time only one server is primary and rest of the server act as secondary servers.

If one Jvm is running per server that means i need to deploy the single agent on the each server

I can deploy the agent on all the three servers which will show the metrics for all the three servers separately but to achieve all the data on the console/dashboard i have to combined all the metrics from all the three servers.

How can I achieve it in a simple way without combining the metrics?

2. I am running 9.5.x version of APM, and want to monitor both WebMethods Broker and WebMethods Integration Server separately.

I need to monitor web-services and soap queries How that can be achieved?

and do we need to put agent for monitoring soap queries if different jvm`s are used between server and client.

What Key metrics can be shown that can put a value add.

Thanks

Aryan

• 4.  Re: Need to monitor websphere/webmethods

Posted Apr 20, 2015 01:46 PM

No Worries !!

1. Application is distributed on three servers but at a time only one server is primary and rest of the server act as secondary servers.

If one Jvm is running per server that means i need to deploy the single agent on the each server

I can deploy the agent on all the three servers which will show the metrics for all the three servers separately but to achieve all the data on the console/dashboard i have to combined all the metrics from all the three servers.

How can I achieve it in a simple way without combining the metrics?

Vaibhav-->Got it. You can try for virtual agents. Please refer Configuration Administration guide Chapter 5.

2. I am running 9.5.x version of APM, and want to monitor both WebMethods Broker and WebMethods Integration Server separately.

I need to monitor web-services and soap queries How that can be achieved?

and do we need to put agent for monitoring soap queries if different jvm`s are used between server and client.

What Key metrics can be shown that can put a value add.

Vaibhav-->WebMethods Integration Server could be monitored using Java Agent extension only.[You will find in Java Agent Installation Guide]

Regarding WebMethods Message Broker monitoring, you can find details using this link CA APM for SOA Implementation Guide

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Vaibhav

• 5.  Re: Need to monitor websphere/webmethods

Posted Apr 20, 2015 01:58 PM

Hello Vaibhav,

Will Virtual agent able to collect the data from other 2 servers i am bit confused how virtual agent will collect the data.

---3 servers

---one application

working in round robin.

Thanks

Aryan

• 6.  Re: Need to monitor websphere/webmethods

Posted Apr 20, 2015 02:24 PM

Aryan,

Have you gone through the Config Admin doc chapter 5 ?

Yes, there are certain limitations like agents should be in the same cluster etc, but yes - Virtual agents is the key to your query.

So in brief, what it does is,on Investigator it will bring you as a single agent deployed for your application. But internally it will be collecting data from all three agents.

As far as I understand your application, at one time only one server is in use. So whatever data Virtual agent is reflecting onto your Investigator would be continuous and from active server,

Below is the agentcluster.xml excerpt from the guide where <agent-specifier> specifies agents reporting to the same cluster (you can specify all 3 agents) and <metric-specifier> specifies what metrics out of all you want to bring onto the investigator.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>

<agent-clusters xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"    xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="agentclusters0.1.xsd" version="0.1" >   

<agent-cluster name="BuyNowAppCluster" domain="SuperDomain" tgtDomain="MyDomain">     

<agent-specifier>.*\|.*\|BuyNow.*</agent-specifier>     

<metric-specifier>Frontends\|.*</metric-specifier>   

</agent-cluster>

</agent-clusters>

In this case, CA APM users with permission to view only the MyDomain domain see the following Browse tree: Custom Metric Host(Virtual) Customer Metric Process(Virtual) BuyNowAppCluster

Also please make a note that it is has its own overhead on EM's Performance so bring only those metrics which are required.

Please let me know if you need something else.

Regards,

Vaibhav

• 7.  Re: Need to monitor websphere/webmethods

Posted Apr 20, 2015 11:18 PM

Thanks Vaibhav,

Do you have an idea how much overhead will be there once i will pull all the default metrics from all the three agent into virtual agent?

For tgtdomain is there any other specific configuration apart from mentioned in the chapter5.

Thanks

Aryan

• 8.  Re: Need to monitor websphere/webmethods

Posted Apr 21, 2015 01:19 PM

Hi Aryan,

Yes, default metrics inclusion will not impact your EM. Also especially when one EM is hosting only 3 servers.

Also there is no as such requirement for tgtdomain but yes, I think you need to install those agents.

Regards,

Vaibhav