DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Context selector: Change Dashboard Alarm sources based on it

Posted Apr 20, 2015 06:23 AM

Hello,

Does exist the possibility have a context selector with a list of values (for e.g.:"ACV", "BIV") and depending on the selection, change several "Alarm data sources/green balls" to have this "filter/datasource"?

When selecting "ACV", all the alarm sources change to "ACV" and have alarms only related to this text. I am not able to find out if this is possible and how.

According to documentation, it should be possible : "Context selectors within a dashboard allow you to view data based on dynamic choices so that you can view the data normally contained in multiple dashboards."

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Javier

• 2.  Re: Context selector: Change Dashboard Alarm sources based on it
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 20, 2015 10:39 AM

1st Part.

So you can add a column to the Context Selector widget that will have the Parameter Name of ORIGIN or something of that nature. That column can get values from a SQL Data Source or you can manually enter the values you would like to have as options e.g. "ACV" or BIV.

2nd Part.

In a perfect world I would assume that your naming convention is spot on across all domains. For example you would have both a ACVWEB01 and a BIVWEB01 or something along those lines. If you want to create one dashboard that will show the alarm status of both servers based on the Context Selector then you would drop a Image Widget and assign it a Alarm Datastore with a Filter that looks something like this:

Alarm Filter Name: Web Server Alarm

Filter Options:

1st line: "Robot" "contains" "${ORIGIN}

2nd line:  "Robot" "contains" "Web"

You could also change the first line to: "Origin" "is" "${ORIGIN}. Depending on your environment one may be better then the other.

• 3.  Re: Context selector: Change Dashboard Alarm sources based on it

Posted Apr 20, 2015 10:45 AM

I wish Olympics were a perfect world, but yes, we have an strict naming convention that will permit me to do this

Regarding your solution, I see it clear now with your explanation. In Context Selector I create this "variable/parameter" to be used later in the filter expresions for Alarm widgets. I will test it as soon as posible and let you know if I have any further question.

Thank you much!