DX NetOps

• 1.  How can I remove Alarms which are non clearable

Posted Apr 20, 2015 08:31 PM

Our environment is unique in that we use Spectrum to simply pass alarms through to a ticketing system with no information coming back. There are about 400 alarms per day which are non clearable and if we have a situation where we have to restart Spectrum they all get re-ticketed.

Is there a way (perhaps similar to using the editmodesmask attribute) which would allow mw to delete these alarms.

Cheers

Chris

• 2.  Re: How can I remove Alarms which are non clearable

Posted Apr 21, 2015 01:32 AM

Hello Chris,

Don't we have a clear event for these alarms which will clear them automatically? We can also send this clear event manually from cli using ./create event type=<clear event> text=test mh=<device model handle>

• 3.  Re: How can I remove Alarms which are non clearable

Posted Apr 23, 2015 12:23 AM

Hi hanks for the response. I have been through the documentation and I cannot find what you are referring to - I want to clear up the syntax...

Perhaps you would be able to assist - or point me to the relevant passage in the doco....

In the example you give...

./create event type=<clear event> text=test mh=<device model handle>

type=<clear event> - should I put the words <clear event> or do I need some sort of clearing event attribute handle?

text=test - is this the alarm title?

mh=<device model handle> - this I understand

Thanks

Chris

• 4.  Re: How can I remove Alarms which are non clearable

Posted Apr 23, 2015 06:17 AM

You can go though Command Line Interface User Guide - Page No: 34. Here is the Link for document.

https://support.ca.com/cadocs/0/CA%20Spectrum%209%203%200-ENU/Bookshelf_Files/PDF/Spectrum_Command_Line_User_ENU.pdf

Example on how to clear events using command line.

Let us say Device A is down and hence spectrum generated "Device has stopped responding to polls" Alarm based on event 0x10d35. Once the device is up, then this alarm should be cleared based on event 0x10d30 (this event clears the alarm generated by the event 0x10d35). But for some reason, it has not cleared (we might have missed device up trap/event on spectrum). So this alarm still available in console even though device is up and it is not clearable manually.

In this scenario, we generate a dummy event manually using the command to clear the existing alarm on the target device.

So now create event command looks like below:

create event type=0x10d30 text="manual clear" mh=0x41023

Here,

1. type is the event type that we want to create (in this case, we are creating clear event)

2. text is any custom text.

3. mh is the model handle. you can get this by selecting the device --> attributes --> filter with model_handle --> double click on it --> in the right side panel you can see it's value.

Hope this helps.

Cheers...

Rajashekar

• 5.  Re: How can I remove Alarms which are non clearable

Posted May 19, 2015 01:21 AM

Hi, this is just not working and I think it is relying on me having a clearing event in the database for every possible event - is that correct - ?

I just want to wipe them out rather than generate a "cleared event" - the time taken to look these up when we sometimes have 300 or 400 listed would be unworkable.

I could export the list of alarms and then do something with them but fiding out what clears them would be unmanageable.

Any other thoughts or is this impossible?

Cheers

Chris

• 6.  Re: How can I remove Alarms which are non clearable

Posted May 21, 2015 09:11 PM

Try restarting the spectroSERVER to get the alarms marked as Stale, they should be clearable in the OneClick GUI then.

• 7.  Re: How can I remove Alarms which are non clearable

Posted May 26, 2015 02:40 AM

Hello Chris,

Clear event is the one which clears the alarm. Now incase the alarms in the console are stale, restarting spectroserver will work. Now apart from the response from ticketing system, don't we get a clear trap /event automatically for these alarms? If this is not the case, i suggest reconfiguring these alarms as user clearable so that you can clear all of them at one go.

• 8.  Re: How can I remove Alarms which are non clearable
    Best Answer

Posted May 27, 2015 10:47 AM

Depending upon the event configuration in SPECTRUM, you may be blocked from being able to clear the alarm via the OC UI.

Easiest way to handle this for the future would be to edit the Event Configuration for the alarm in question and under the Alarm Options tab check "Alarm is User Clearable"

I've had to do this for a few out of the box alarms (0x00010f6d - MODULE REMOVAL DETECTED for example).

• 9.  Re: How can I remove Alarms which are non clearable

Posted Feb 05, 2016 11:23 AM

MattClausen

I have the same alarm 0x00010f6d, how can remove it ? the clear event is 0x10f6c so I run  ./create event type=0x10f6c text="test" mh=0x11a4f5

but it need some variable discriminators. how i add discriminators ?

Thank

Diego MP

• 10.  Re: How can I remove Alarms which are non clearable

Posted Feb 08, 2016 08:37 AM

Unfortunately you cannot add event discriminators using the CLI "create event" command. Sounds like an enhancement request.