DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Approving of posts in the community

• 1.  Approving of posts in the community

Posted Apr 22, 2015 03:14 AM

Hi,

I'm getting notifications in the communities that my posts need to be approved. Then after a while I get notification in my email that a post has been approved. Does this really mean that all posts here are now moderated before they appear to others? This seems... well I don't know if I even need to go there?

-jon

• 2.  Re: Approving of posts in the community

Posted Apr 23, 2015 05:18 AM

This seems to be applied everywhere. Even when I post messages to the User Group community I am the president of, I get the message "Waiting for moderator approval."

I've never been informed about anyone moderating my user group, and I can't even moderate it myself. That is just not acceptable.

• 3.  Re: Approving of posts in the community

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 23, 2015 08:56 AM

I wonder if it has something to do with trying to reduce the spam that has been appearing lately.

• 4.  Re: Approving of posts in the community

Posted Apr 23, 2015 04:54 PM

Moderation is the only reliable way of preventing undesirable posts. Unfortunately, undesirable is at the discretion of CA - which, while I don't like it, it is their prerogative to impose.

What I really find detrimental is that the delay introduced (usually minutes but sometimes appears to be hours) can get in the way of an active "conversation".

Now, I don't know what others see but the flow of conversation and implication of the "your post is being moderated" is that until moderated, no one sees it.

-Garin

• 5.  Re: Approving of posts in the community

Posted Apr 23, 2015 04:56 PM

And on this previous post,  I got nothing regarding moderating - maybe conversations are tagged based on their suspected inflammatory content.

-Garin

• 6.  Re: Approving of posts in the community

Posted Apr 23, 2015 06:53 PM

Hi all,

ketro01  is correct. We do not actively moderate for content. The community is self-policing in regards to content and we rely our members following the contribution guidelines here: Terms for User sites - CA Technologies and flagging abuse when it occurs, which luckily is not often. 

However lately we have come under attack by a group of spammers who are hitting several high profile software and consumer communities.  We are putting measures in place to block them at registration but due to the sheer volume and variation some slip through.  To prevent their posts from spamming our users we have implemented moderation.  Essentially we are just checking to see if it is spam and then if not approving it.  Spam identification is pretty obvious and I'm sure you've seen some slip through: walls of repeated Korean text.  More details can be found here: Spam and Moderation.

Thanks,
    Sam

• 7.  Re: Approving of posts in the community

Posted Apr 30, 2015 02:58 AM

Will it stay like that? Don't you want to put an automatic mechanism to do that? Having people "moderating" before a post is appearing doesn't sound right to me no matter whether the initial intention is good or not.

• 8.  Re: Approving of posts in the community

Posted Apr 30, 2015 06:02 AM

I hope this is only a temporary workaround. The delay introduced by manual moderation is really annoying and could even reduce the value of the tool

• 9.  Re: Approving of posts in the community

Posted Apr 30, 2015 06:03 AM

Wow, even the replies to current discussions need to be moderated. Worse than I thought

• 10.  Re: Approving of posts in the community

Posted Apr 30, 2015 10:19 AM

Hi Renato Orgito you are unfortunately posting during the active period for the spammers.  During those periods we increase moderation to prevent spam hitting the sites.  I took a look and right around the time you were posting we had about 10 spammers hitting the site and trying to get in.

We are working on some alternate methods to stop this before they enter the site, but they are trying a lot of techniques like registering with large company names and copying and pasting legitimate posts until they get past moderation.  Hopefully we will be back to normal soon, as I mentioned before we are not alone in being targeted and we are working with our platform vendor and other companies to find a solution to this annoyance.

Thanks,
    Sam

• 11.  Re: Approving of posts in the community

Posted Apr 30, 2015 10:23 AM

Thank you for the clarification. I hope things are fixed soon.