DX NetOps

• 1.  some critical services to be monitored in my AD Servers by using spectrum r 9.2

Posted Apr 23, 2015 06:32 AM

Hello Crew,

i want to monitor some services like DNS Server,netlogon, RDP  if their state will be going to change other than running

so , could you please guys help in this regard.

i  heared that services probe is there for to monitor services like those is it right

if so, then could you please guide me how to accomplish it in spectrum 9.2

Regards,

Satish Kavala

• 2.  Re: some critical services to be monitored in my AD Servers by using spectrum r 9.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 23, 2015 07:50 AM

Could you please clarify what you have?  You mention Spectrum 9.2 and the tags on your post also include SystemEDGE.  If that's what you have, then with SystemEDGE, you can use monitoring templates and policies available in the VAIM console and deploy those to SystemEDGE.  For example, this is an out of the box template that is set to alert on any Windows service that changes out of the running state if it's one that is set to automatic start:

There are other out of the box ones for Exchange, etc. but you can create your own templates as well.  Here’s a link to the documentation:  https://support.ca.com/cadocs/0/CA%20Virtual%20Assurance%20for%20Infrastructure%20Managers%2012%209-ENU/Bookshelf_Files/HTML/UIHelp/index.htm?toc.htm?configuration_overview.html

If you don't have SystemEDGE and only have Spectrum, then you'll need to make use of the rfc2790 process and file system monitoring rule sets.  The documentation for Spectrum 9.2.2 regarding this is here  https://support.ca.com/cadocs/1/CA%20Spectrum%209%202%202%20H09-ENU/Bookshelf_Files/PDF/Spectrum_Host_System_Resources_User_ENU.pdf . Unfortunately, you'll need to do a bit more work since you'll need to find the processes that these services are running and create monitors for those instead of creating monitors for "DNS Service" for example.  Not too difficult and very possible but just something to be aware of.

You mentioned a "services probe".  The only services probe we have is part of UIM (Nimsoft), not Spectrum.  You can certainly monitor services with UIM but I don't know if that's what you have or you've just heard someone mention a services probe and weren't aware of the context.

Hopefully, this helps.

• 3.  Re: some critical services to be monitored in my AD Servers by using spectrum r 9.2

Posted Apr 24, 2015 03:09 AM

Hello Robert,

i have spectrum only besides that i was installed sysedge core in the servers those whatever i wanted to monitor services

is it enough to meet with my requirement or else i need something more to accomplish my desired task.

Regards,

SK_Kavala

• 4.  Re: some critical services to be monitored in my AD Servers by using spectrum r 9.2

Posted Apr 23, 2015 09:25 AM

Satish,

we can also monitor services from Specturm Oneclick -> system resources -> Running process (not rfc 2790) tab using sysedge.

• 5.  Re: some critical services to be monitored in my AD Servers by using spectrum r 9.2

Posted Apr 24, 2015 03:03 AM

hello srinivas,

i knew that but i want to be monitored specific services if their status is going to be changed other than running only.

is it possible by using the procedure that what you have mentioned if so,kindly groom me towards that.

Regards,

Satish Kavala

• 6.  Re: some critical services to be monitored in my AD Servers by using spectrum r 9.2

Posted Apr 25, 2015 02:20 AM

Satish,

From Spectrum, the only option is to create a watch on "hrSWRunStatus" object id to monitor for the change in process running status.

Here is the object id info from Mib and it's states:

hrSWRunStatus OBJECT-TYPE

SYNTAX INTEGER {

running(1),

runnable(2),

notRunnable(3),

invalid(4)

}

ACCESS read-write

STATUS current

DESCRIPTION

"The status of this running piece of software.

Setting this value to invalid(4) shall cause this

software to stop running and to be unloaded. Sets to

other values are not valid."

::= { hrSWRunEntry 7 }

Alternately you should be able to configure the running status change traps in sysedge.cf as well.

• 7.  Re: some critical services to be monitored in my AD Servers by using spectrum r 9.2
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 09, 2015 02:39 PM

So this topic is slightly confusing. Creating the monitors via VAIM and deploying the configuration is the best and generally easiest solution. However, if you don't have VAIM installed in your environment, you can create Service monitors via Spectrum as well...

A Service monitor is effectively a Process monitor with additional flags set in order to treat it as a Services (instead of a Process).

In Spectrum, go to System Resources -> Running and Monitored Processes -> Monitored Processes

Click Add.

spc1.png

Make sure you provide the Service Display Name (Ex: Windows Time), not the Service Name (Ex: W32Time) and check the "Monitor Windows Service" option.

spc2.png

Here's an example that was created by an Auto Watcher:

spc3.png

Thanks to GregPolenta for some of the Spectrum specifics and generating the base screen shots for me.