Symantec IGA

• 1.  SQotD: CA Identity wha...?

Posted Apr 23, 2015 10:52 AM

Stupid Question(s) of the Day

Forgive me for being a complete and total noob, but...

What's the difference between these products?  And when, where, and why might one be used instead of the others?

• CA Identity Manager
    • CA Privileged Identity Manager
    • CA Identity Suite

It seems awfully confusing to me, but then again, I've only been exposed to CA products for about 6 months now.  Sure, I'd heard of CA SiteMinder before: as an AD domain admin, we had to interface with it for authentication of some of our web apps.  I'd even heard of CA IdentityMinder, as a product in the same broad category as Microsoft's Forefront Identity Manager (with which I have some exposure, too).  And why isn't CA Identity Manager listed among the Products Covered on the community home page, or rank its own Category, while the others do?  Am I reading too much (or too little) significance into its conspicuous absence?

• 2.  Re: SQotD: CA Identity wha...?
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 24, 2015 02:14 PM

Hi Ralph.

It's not a dumb question at all...  CA recently went through a set of name changes for its entire suite of products (not just Security)

Identity Manager is CA's User provisioning tool focused on automating provisioning to directories, OS, apps and SaaS (workflow, delegated admin, etc)

Privileged Identity Manager is CA's privileged user management tool for shared account management of root/admin and service accounts, as well as fine grained OS controls, session recording, etc.

Identity Suite is CA's complete Identity and Access Governance solution which has 3 distinct functional components: Identity Manager, Identity Governance, and Identity Portal;

Identity Governance: (a component of the suite) is CA's Compliance certification solution that also provides facilities for endpoint cleanup, role rationalization and SOD controls.

Identity Portal: is CA's single pane of glass "business user experience" app that simplifies the business user delegated admin and access request functions for identity and governances tasks.

CA.com has demos, white papers and product sheets for each of these under the "Securecenter" brand on our website.

I hope this helps - if not, please feel free to reach out to me:

Dave Culbertson,

WW VP, Identity and Governance Solutions

David.Culbertson@ca.com

• 3.  Re: SQotD: CA Identity wha...?

Posted Apr 24, 2015 03:11 PM

Thank you for explaining that to me! 

• 4.  Re: SQotD: CA Identity wha...?

Posted Apr 24, 2015 03:31 PM

The Identity Suite category in the Community covers both Identity Manager and Identity Governance.