Harvest

• 1.  What CI tools are being used with Harvest SCM

Posted Apr 28, 2015 02:36 PM

I am curious as to what CI tools others are using with Harvest, and how they have their environment set up. I.e. are you using Harvest as the SCM and the binary repo or using GIT as a SCM with Jenkins and Harvest as a binary repo. We are really trying to implement CI and looking at a couple different formats.

• 2.  Re: What CI tools are being used with Harvest SCM

Posted Apr 28, 2015 03:24 PM

Jvore,

I tend to come across a lot of CruiseControl and Nexus from Sonatype (Nexus Repository Managers - Customer Experiences - Nexus Repositories - Sonatype.com). I'm not sure what technologies you're managing but, as a say, a common technology stack tends to be:

• Harvest: Source Code Control & ALM
    • CruiseControl: Continuous Integration
    • Binary Repository: Nexus

Some of the advantages:

• Harvest provides full ALM and supports modern principles such as Agile and SCRUM - key for DevOps best practice.
    • CruiseControl is a free solution that even has a tight integration with Harvest - let me know if you need any help with this?

I hope that helps?

• 3.  Re: What CI tools are being used with Harvest SCM

Posted Apr 29, 2015 06:56 AM
    • This is our infrastructure for Continuous Integration

• Subversion: source control
    • Fisheye: repository browser
    • Jenkins: CI
    • Nexus: binary repository
    • Sonar: static code analysis
    • Harvest: lifecycle management used for deployment

Peter

• 4.  Re: What CI tools are being used with Harvest SCM

Posted Apr 29, 2015 07:13 AM

Woaa, don't use Subversion instead of Harvest, you'll end up building in constraints around atomic change-sets and be unable to productively support Agile (if this is something your looking at|). If you implement SVN, you'll no doubt end up follow the traditional "Branch & Merge" strategy... not great.

• 5.  Re: What CI tools are being used with Harvest SCM

Posted Apr 29, 2015 07:33 AM

Harvest having no integration into Jenkins, Fisheye and Sonarqube there wasn't really a choice. Our develoers are quite happy with the solution.

What's wrong with a "traditional branch and merge strategy". Don't really see a great difference to Harvest accept that it is much easier to create branches and to merge changes.

• 6.  Re: What CI tools are being used with Harvest SCM

Posted Apr 29, 2015 08:05 AM

Peter, my opinion is that adding SVN on top of Harvest simply adds [unnecessary] complexity. I also believe that Harvest is far more capable of simultaneously managing BAU and Feature development without introducing the atomic change constraint problem associated with SVN... and any other Source Code Control tool. I also believe that Harvest will far out-scale an SVN-based solution - not relevant, I guess, if you're not looking to scale?!

• 7.  Re: What CI tools are being used with Harvest SCM

Posted Jun 27, 2017 02:47 PM

Hello jwilson_aria! I am almost in the same case that PeterWiesbaden, but I don't use anything of CA and right now I want to use CA Harvest like you said (not use subversion, use Harvest) I want to replace Subversion for CA Harvest;  but I don't know how, I just find this document https://search.ca.com/assets/SiteAssets/TEC1244838_External/How%20can%20I%20integrate%20CA%20Harvest%20SCM%20with%20Jenkins%20to%20achieve%20Continuous%20Integration.pdf .    

But how to configure the jobs in Jenkins for checking changes? 

Do you know if are there more information? 

Thank you very much!

• 8.  Re: What CI tools are being used with Harvest SCM

Posted Apr 29, 2015 07:19 AM

Hello.

Some of the configurations I have encountered:

• IDE: Visual Studio and/or Eclipse
    • CI: Hudson/Jenkins
    • Binary repository: Nexus
    • Static Code Analysis: Sonar
    • Lifecycle Management: Harvest
    • Deployment Automation: CA Release Automation or (Harvest's) UDP-based scripting

In all these phases, I have encountered some kind of customization using Harvest's UDPs, either Pre-linked (for validations) or Post-linked (for post-operation tasks).

Best regards,

Ricardo Bernardino