Tech Tip: TIM Settings Part Two
This is the second of three parts on TIM Settings. TIM Settings traditionally have a one- or two-part name and value. If not listed, then the default values are used. A list of TIM Settings can be seen in the TIM log on startup.
At this point, there is not one place that you can see the TIM Settings. Below is an incomplete list of TIM Settings from the APM documentation . This is from the 9.7 documentation.
1) The new APM Troubleshooting Guide. This includes information about the
- Flex and XML Plugins which are enabled/disabled through TIM Settings.
- IgnoreOnlyRequestErrorComponents setting to help limit the number of missing response defects.
2) Transaction Definition Guide, there are the directions to disable the XML Plugin.
3) Installation and Upgrade Guide, covers changing TessCollectorIpAddr or the TessIpAddr values as needed.
4) Configuration and Administration Guide, lists the following TIM Settings :
- RTTM or also called BtStats. Notethat enabling/disabling this functionality in APM 9.7 has been moved to a new file called btstatsconfig.xml.
- DiskSpace/MinFreeDataSpaceInPercent for freeing up TIM diskspace
- ProxyForwardHeader to set the real Client IP address for defects.
- TessCollectorIpAddr or the TessIpAddr to set the IP addresses for MOM-TESS and Tim Collector. It also talks about MOM failover and TIM with these fields.
5) Security Guide has directions to do the following:
- Set the MaxDefectRequestBodySize to increase/decrease the request body size.
- Set timTessCommunication.useSsl to enable/disable TIM-TESS EM SSL communication. This at one point was an undocumented property.
6) Sizing and Performance Guide includes the following settings:
- DiskSpace/MinFreeDataSpaceInPercent which was already discussed
In the CA APM for Infrastructure Management Guide talks about
- Parallel/UseWorkers. This is an important setting and only should be enabled for MTP and disabled for non-MTP TIMs with or without Napatech cards.If misconfigured, this can dramatically impact TIM performance.
This also means that there are whole areas of TIM Settings not in APM documentation
- SiteMinder settings (I will bring back the KB on this soon.)
- Trace Filters
- Transaction Inspection
- Miscellaneous settings (MaxLogSizeInMB, SSL Ageout, others)
There are 13 KBs on TIM settings. These include:
http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec606479.aspx -- MaxLogSizeInMB
http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec603778.aspx -- MaxDefectRequestBodySize
http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec604032.aspx -- 403 Error and TessCollectorIPAddr/TessIPAddr
1. Not all TIM Settings are documented due to a variety of reasons.
2. Documentation may include new but not deprecated or removed TIM Settings.
3. There is generally little discussion of what are the performance implications of raising a value past the default.
Questions for Discussion:
1. What would you like to see me cover with TIM Settings?
2. What are areas of TIM settings that need to be documented?
3. What should be covered in other topics?