CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

• 1.  How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 06, 2015 05:23 AM

Hello CA support

please, help me on this, i need to open ticket by sending email, what is the format ,?how can i achieve this?what configurations are needed in servicedesk administration.

Awaits your prompt response

Thanks

• 2.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 06, 2015 07:11 AM

Hello Aamir,

Please refer below threads about the maileater functionality to create tickets via email:

https://communities.ca.com/message/16519129#16519129

MailEater use - Is it easy to do?

Thanks,

Naveen

• 3.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 06, 2015 08:04 AM

Thanks Naveen

I will go through it and will surely contact you if i get stuck anywhere.

• 4.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 07, 2015 06:26 AM

Hello Naveen,

Hope you are having a good day

Please can you tell me the configuration of this method...i tried it but not achieved, or if you can provide step by step method.

i have to do this with success.

Your guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

• 5.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 07, 2015 09:47 AM

Hi,

what kind of problem you have faced?

1st step - configure email address:

Go to Administartion tab -> Email -> Mailboxes;

There should be Default (OOTB) mailbox, open it in Edit mode and fill all the fields.

Check stdlog (log folder) for mailbox errors, if there is no errors that means that mailbox connected successfuly.

2st step - test default rule

Default OOTB mailbox should have some basic rules,

if they have you them, you can try to send message to email address that you have configured as Mailbox.

E-mail message should be in plain text (some email platforms like Lotus Notes can convert it to plain text automatically but if you're using Exchange Server u'll lost your data).

Your header should match one of defined in Mailbox rules.

If after these actions nothing happened, check your email directly via email client, your message should be marked as readed or deleted.

Regards,

cdtj

• 6.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 08, 2015 06:50 AM

Hello cdtj,
    thanks for your clarification,but m facing many errors in log after  configuration in mailbox..see the screenshots...also im confused in mailbox config..there are many fields ,rules and policy in it...should i also do something in rules and policy tab?
    mail_eater.PNG

mail eater.PNG

Can you please support on it by remote access?

• 7.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 08, 2015 06:59 AM

hi,

your mailbox is not configured with gmail.

You can follow the next instruction:

Get started with IMAP and POP3 - Gmail Help

Try to set hostname as imap.gmail.com

Port: 993

• 8.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 08, 2015 08:23 AM

my gmail is already enabled IMAP....

okay if i dont your gmail id, use my company domain id, still i am getting error in log...

• 9.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 08, 2015 08:38 AM

Service Desk tries to reach hostname (in your example : sdm12) where EMail server is located,

using your credentials.

If you want to integrate SDM via gmail, you should define gmail server address as mailbox hostname.

• 10.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 08, 2015 09:14 AM

If you want to integrate with gmail you will also need to import certificates. Check this thread https://communities.ca.com/message/241705760#241705760

Anyway in order for us to help you, please provide the following info:

Do you use gmail or some internal mail system?

Is sdm12 your mail servers hostname? From hostname I would say that this is just CA SDM server

• 11.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 08, 2015 02:23 PM

yeah, that was my sdm host name, well now i have corrected this and log is also clear now. see below

mail eatr2.PNG

please tell me what to put in Port override ? do i need to edit rules n policy tab also?

please clearly tell, m a bit new in this feature.

also log file is no errors now fir this webmail.

mail eater.PNG

• 12.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 08, 2015 02:42 PM

The default for IMAP is port 143. If your email server is using the default you do not have to put anything in Port Override.

In most cases you do not have to edit the rules. It depends how you are creating your emails (what is in the subject line). Refer to the CA Service Desk Manager Administration Guide, chapter 7: Implementing Policy.

• 13.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 08, 2015 03:10 PM

Hello Linday,

thanks for your response

i just want to test how can i generate ticket by sending email.

• 14.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 08, 2015 02:17 PM

The errors in the log indicate that Service Desk has not been able to make an IMAP connection with your email server using the credentials. You configured the email server as sdm12 (which I would guess is not your email server). You configured your credentials as aamir.fieldway@gmail.com (which I would guess is your personal email address). Where have you set up an email account from which you want Service Desk to "eat" emails?

• 15.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 08, 2015 02:10 PM

Hello Laqa,

I hope you understand that this is a community board and not CA Support. Some of the people who are posting on this board do work for CA but most are customers like yourself. If you need assistance from CA Support then you will have to open a case at support.ca.com or call 631-342-5066.

Cheers,

Lindsay

• 16.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 08, 2015 05:14 PM

Hi Laga,

Lindsay, Gutis were right on the money here. Thank you both and others who already contributed to this thread.  

Maileater is a program that basically connects to your mail server, parses the mail. If the data in the email (subject / body) matches the parameters mentioned in the Maileater Rules,  then it fires those rules appropriately (ex: create a ticket, or update it etc., etc.,).   Original screen shots for gmail account showed that your maileater program on SDM server could not connect to the Gmail's servers (connection refused was the error, which usually means that the port is being blocked).

Secondly if there are no errors seeing when you connect to your internal mail server, then everything might be fine.  You'd have to test sending a email to that email box that you configured maileater to use.  You cannot have an email client (ex: Outlook) using the same mail box. Because such email client will empty the mailbox  and there would be nothing for SDM Maileater to process.  It can go viceversa too, meaning if maileater finds the mail first  before your email client could read,  it might delete that email after reading.  So, please do watch out when using regular mail userids  against maileater.  Normally customers create a separately mailbox (ex: servicedesk@company.com)  and  send emails to that account.  This account then is configured in maileater settings.

And I second Lindsay's last comment as well. Whilst this is a community board, not everyone in the board is in a shape to assist directly, especially via a webex. Should your current requirement needs CA Support engagement, a case can be raised via support.ca.com and/or calling 800-call-cai

regards

_R

• 17.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 09, 2015 11:18 AM

Hello Raghu,

Thanks for your feedback your your last point clearly noted.

Now according to my present inserted ind=formation in mailbox. i think this is fine and no error in the logs are found.

Please tell me now how to create ticket ? as i put aamir@fieldway.net email in mailbox. now can i email from my any email address to this id aamir@fieldway.net so will ticket generate? if not how can i check it then?

Many Thanks

• 18.  Re: How to generate tickets through email in sdm  12.9?

Posted May 11, 2015 08:23 AM

No according to your rules tickets will be generated only when keyword is specified in subject e.g subject will contain word  incident. You can also disable ticket creation for anonymous users by changing allow anonymous option to No.