Symantec IGA

• 1.  Troubleshooting Identity Manager performance?

Posted May 07, 2015 12:18 PM
    • Application: CA Identity Manager R12.6 SP4 (CORP=PROV)
    • Middleware: JBoss 5.1.0.GA
    • Database: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
    • OS Platform: Windows Server 2008 SP2

I've noticed a marked increase in CPU, memory, and network utilization on our IM application and SQL database servers recently.  There doesn't seem to be any noticeable change on the directory/provisioning servers, though.  I don't see any unusual warnings or errors in the server.log files to account for this.  What else can I look at to troubleshoot the performance of our IM system?  Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Ralph

• 2.  Re: Troubleshooting Identity Manager performance?

Posted May 13, 2015 11:38 AM

Is anyone able to assist with the above question?

Thank you!

Ralph Thomas wrote:

• Application: CA Identity Manager R12.6 SP4 (CORP=PROV)
    • Middleware: JBoss 5.1.0.GA
    • Database: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
    • OS Platform: Windows Server 2008 SP2

I've noticed a marked increase in CPU, memory, and network utilization on our IM application and SQL database servers recently.  There doesn't seem to be any noticeable change on the directory/provisioning servers, though.  I don't see any unusual warnings or errors in the server.log files to account for this.  What else can I look at to troubleshoot the performance of our IM system?  Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Ralph

• 3.  Re: Troubleshooting Identity Manager performance?
    Best Answer

Posted May 18, 2015 11:48 AM

There are a few ways to approach this. The best place to get started is to get a heapdump from the Java JVM that IM is running. JSTACK is a pretty good tool to get this output. Basically, you'll end up with a snapshot of all of the memory and threads in your application server.

Then use the IBM Memory Analyzer Tool to examine the heap. What you're looking for is high memory usage by specific IM classes, and then you can focus on what the bottleneck may be.

JSTACK tips and tricks are here:

How to take Thread Dumps from a JVM

IBM Memory Analyzer Tool is here:

developerWorks : IBM Monitoring and Diagnostic Tools for Java - Memory Analyzer Version 1.4

CA Support is happy to help you analyze the heap dumps.

There are two common types of IM performance issues.

The first is due to poor role rule evaluations. This will be the case if the logins take a very long time before displaying a user's tasks in the IM User Console. This is the link for our documentation on optimizing role evaluations.

Performance and Optimization - CA Identity Manager - 12.6.5 - CA Wiki

The second type is due to an enormous number of users in the task persistence database tables. To avoid this, garbage collection should scheduled on a regular basis.

Cleanup Submitted Tasks - CA Identity Manager - 12.6.5 - CA Wiki

Please let me know if this sheds any light on the issue and don't hesitate to open a new support ticket to address this.

W.

• 4.  Re: Troubleshooting Identity Manager performance?

Posted May 18, 2015 11:51 AM

Thanks, William.  I have been looking through the CA Wiki, and have already started working on some of the items discussed there.  I'll look into JSTACK and the IBM MAT, too.