whibr08

Tuesday Tip - CA MAA: How to tell if your app is sending Analytics

Discussion created by whibr08 Employee on May 8, 2015

CA Mobile Application Analytics (MAA) Tuesday Tip by Bryan Whitmarsh, Sr Principal Technical Consultant for Tuesday, May 5th, 2015

Ok, so maybe it’s not Tuesday, but better late then never…

When you tool your first few mobile apps with CA Mobile Application Analytics, you may wonder how to tell if your application is really sending analytics data to the server. Well in this Friday, I mean Tuesday tip we will explore how you can determine if your mobile application is sending data without just having to hit refresh and wait for the MAA console to update.

Connect your device or simulator to something that allows you to view its output. For Android apps I use either debug mode from Android Studio or the Android Device Monitor. For iOS I use the output window in Xcode on the simulator or “Windows -> Devices” for a real device connected via cable.

Run your application and monitor the output log and look for:

1. Your application making a request from the MAA Server to receive the Application Profile, the call will look something like “profileURL = http://<your-maa-server-name>/mdo/v1/profiles/<your-tenant-ID>/<your-app-ID>

<Android Output>

01.png

<iOS Output>

02.png

2. Make sure you have successfully received the application profile, it will look like the below sample outputs if successful

<Android Output>

03.png

<iOS Output>

04.png

3. Use the application enough to fill the default 100 item local queue so that it triggers a push to the MAA Server, look for output that starts with “hdr” and is followed by a bunch of data, note the value following “si” for tracking purposes, this value following “si” is the Session ID that you will find in the MAA Console

<Android Output>

05.png

<iOS Output>

06.png    

4. Look for “Successfully uploaded data” (Android) or a “write_bulk” followed by a “Status code = 200” (iOS) letting you know that the data was received and accepted by the MAA Server (collector service)

<Android Output>

07.png

<iOS Output>

08.png

You should now feel confident that your application is tooled with the CA MAA SDK and is sending analytics data to the MAA Server.

Outcomes