DX NetOps

• 1.  Can CAPC monitor MS SQL or IIS?

Posted May 22, 2015 06:25 PM

Does CAPC have the ability to monitor in anyway the SQL or IIS process of these applications running on Windows Servers? Please don't tell me I have to install CA APM. just to monitor SQL or IIS. 

• 2.  Re: Can CAPC monitor MS SQL or IIS?

Posted May 23, 2015 05:54 AM

I have a similar requirement in that we are replacing IBM ITM with Spectrum/CAPC and the old ITM product had the ability to perform checks on MMSQL.

I would like both the ability to do BASIC monitors on my databases (log space, avaialbiltiy, etc) and statistical collections in CAPC.

As a short term solution I was planning on doing some PERL scripting for Sysedge performance monitoring but would REALLY like to see som native capability WITHOUT moving to Nimsoft.

Comments??

• 3.  Re: Can CAPC monitor MS SQL or IIS?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 03, 2015 02:16 PM

Hello opnet, Dan_E,

At the moment it appears these would be best served as Idea posts on the community forums here to have these features considered for addition to future product releases.

There may be some SystemEDGE AIMs or configuration options that will give you what you need in a MIB for collection via SNMP polling. Though right now there are no out of the box Metric Families in the Data Aggregator (DA) that look as though they would meet these current requirements.

While these don't appear possible in the current iteration of the product, if its in a MIB on a device capable of providing SNMP responses, we could collect and report on the data. It would mean importing any necessary MIB files not already in the system that define the MIB(s) that contain the data. It would then also mean creating custom Vendor Certifications, and related Metric Families for linking to devices via Monitoring Profiles. If all that is done, we should gather that data once the custom component elements are discovered and start polling the metrics in those custom certification entries.

Hope that helps some even if its likely not the ultimate answer being sought here.

Thanks,

Mike

• 4.  Re: Can CAPC monitor MS SQL or IIS?

Posted Jun 03, 2015 05:11 PM

good idea but if a company has the CA Assurance Suite and wants to monitor SQL what options do they currently have beyond CPU, Memory, Disc, and Interface Utilization using CAPC and DA

• 5.  Re: Can CAPC monitor MS SQL or IIS?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 04, 2015 07:37 AM

Hi Opnet,

UIM has probes for many db's and applications like IIS, Apache, Tomcat, JVM's ect.

The problem you are running into is there isn't native SNMP MIB support from Microsoft on those applications. They use WMI, PowerShell and Perfmon.

• 6.  Re: Can CAPC monitor MS SQL or IIS?

Posted Jun 16, 2015 07:28 PM

If you use an SNMP agent on the server (it can be SysEDGE) in theory you should be able to pull whatever snmp information that this agent supports such as server processes running on the server.

• 7.  Re: Can CAPC monitor MS SQL or IIS?

Posted Jun 17, 2015 07:19 AM

In a way yes – I am planning on doing some simple SQL monitors using SPM PERL scripts executed by Sysedge.

I have some templates but have not yet started to build this – if anyone has something like this working and would be willing to share their scripts it would be most helpful

Dan