DX NetOps

Expand all | Collapse all

How to Disable an Alarm for a Specific Device?

• 1.  How to Disable an Alarm for a Specific Device?

Posted May 26, 2015 04:25 PM

Does anyone know how to cause an event / alarm to be ignored for a specific device without globally disabling the alarm and without disabling other alarms from the device in question?

This isn't the first, nor will it be the last, time that we've had a need to click and ignore an alarm type for a device that may have a known condition. Putting the device in Maintenance / Hibernate Mode is not practical as that would disable all alarms for that device. I'm sure there's a way (an attribute we can manipulate maybe?) but it's not readily apparent and I haven't been able to find anything (yet) to help me out.

What I have is a Juniper EX4300 that currently has one power supply - I'm receiving alarms that the secondary "Power Supply Is Not Operational." We're aware of the condition and would like to temporarily ignore this one alarm without influencing alarms that we would care about. In a perfect world we would be able to right-click and choose an 'ignore' option from the alarm display.

Any help is much appreciated!

• 2.  Re: How to Disable an Alarm for a Specific Device?

Posted May 26, 2015 04:35 PM

You could try the "snooze" feature, which hides a specific alarm for a specified amount of time.  This is the button that looks like an Alarm Clock, and can also be found by right-clicking an alarm an choosing the "Snooze" menu option.

I have an Idea Submission for this feature, since presently it doesn't completely satisfy my requirements.  This feature is User specific, whereas to be truly useful I feel it should "snooze" for all users.

Snooze Alarm for All Users

• 3.  Re: How to Disable an Alarm for a Specific Device?

Posted May 26, 2015 04:40 PM

And, unfortunately, it will only "snooze" for up to 24 hours. I'd like to snooze indefinitely - similar to the Hibernate function. I agree with your idea - it would be useful to snooze for all, though I think snoozing on an individual basis would useful as well.

• 4.  Re: How to Disable an Alarm for a Specific Device?

Posted May 27, 2015 03:35 AM

Why don't you filter it out?

• 5.  Re: How to Disable an Alarm for a Specific Device?

Posted Nov 30, 2015 08:40 AM

Hi,

Whether you filter it out or snooze ir or acknowledge the alarm, what happens is that if it is a "flapping" condition that generates the alarm, but you know this is "normal" or under revision, the alarm instance will change everytime the condition is again generated. The other problem is that modifying the event would apply for the alarm type or model type in the same way, but you may need to "disable" the monitoring only for that specific sub-element of a device, and not for the whole device.

• 6.  Re: How to Disable an Alarm for a Specific Device?

Posted May 27, 2015 03:58 AM

nas and there Auto-Operator and pre-processing rules, make that alarm to exclude and there it is, gone. Easy when you have one specific alarm

• 7.  Re: How to Disable an Alarm for a Specific Device?

Posted May 27, 2015 04:01 AM

We use "Acknowledge" for that. Our operators have disabled the acknowledged alarms in their alarm view and every time they acknowledge an Alarm, will it  become invisible.

• 8.  Re: How to Disable an Alarm for a Specific Device?

Posted May 28, 2015 10:25 AM

I should mention that we are currently using Spectrum 9.2.3 (upgrading to 9.4 in the next week or so) so NAS wouldn't apply. Disabling the acknowledged alarms in the alarm view is a bit more appealing than using filters - seems a little less 'global' as I can set this up per user / user group. Question is: how do I do it?

• 9.  Re: How to Disable an Alarm for a Specific Device?
    Best Answer

Posted May 29, 2015 04:43 AM

Hi, you can set it as administrator for other users and/or groups:

Navigate to "Users", right click the user or  group. There you can see "Set Preferences"

In the "Set Preferences" menu navigate to "Alarm Filter" and click "Set Alarm Filter".

Go to the "State" tab. Here you have to select "Not Acknowledged"

Every user can do it himself via "Preferences" or the alarm filter menu with the "Make Changes Permanent" Option.

Reagrds' Frank

• 10.  Re: How to Disable an Alarm for a Specific Device?

Posted May 29, 2015 11:04 AM

I think your best long term solution is to write event logic which parses either model type or model name for the specific alarm in question. You can then choose to only log the event when it meets the criteria, or alarm if it does not.

• 11.  Re: How to Disable an Alarm for a Specific Device?

Posted Jun 01, 2015 04:27 AM

Agree with jeremy incase you are looking for long time solution. We need to have an event condition(mostly..) rule in place on the base event . Alternately you can disable this trap from the device itself if is a trap based alarm.