DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  UMP installer hanging

Posted May 27, 2015 05:35 AM

Have any one seen this issue with upgrading UMP before?

I’m at a site upgrading a system from 6.5 to 8.2

The UIM host was upgraded from 6.5 to 8.2 yesterday without any issues

When upgrading UMP the installer hangs during the Verifying Robot stage.

The previous stages go through OK, the installer retrieves the information from the CDM probe without warnings but then hangs with 'Verifying Robot' in the bottom left hand corner when the Next button is pressed.

I’ve left the install running for > 30 mins in case it’s just very slow. The installer has to be killed through Task Manager as the cancel buttons is frozen.

There is > 8gb free on the UIM drive (this is a VM server, space is in process of being increased) the server memory is 12GB

The UMP server has 21GB disk free and 8GB of RAM, robot is version 7.70

A Case has been logged with CA support

• 2.  Re: UMP installer hanging

Posted May 27, 2015 06:04 AM

are you doing a straight upgrade from 6.5 to 8.2?

if so i would suggest trying to upgrade to 7.5/7.6 first then 8.1 then 8.2 this follows the upgrade path

• 3.  Re: UMP installer hanging

Posted May 27, 2015 07:17 AM

If you look at the compatibility matrix is says that the upgrade path for 6.5 is direct to 8.2 I've also had this confirmed by support

Cut and paste from the relevant case

"The compatibility matrix for 8.2 is correct. Older versions, such as 8.1 could not make more than three minor version jumps. For instance, if you were on an unsupported version 6.5, you would likely need to move to 7.1, then 7.6, then 8.1.

For 8.2 we have revamped the installer, which now supports ANY version inclusive of 6.5 going straight to 8.2.

• 4.  Re: UMP installer hanging

Posted May 27, 2015 08:20 AM

To confirm that it's not the version of installer that is at fault I downloaded 7.5 and ran through the install but it hung at exactly the same spot.

• 5.  Re: UMP installer hanging

Posted May 27, 2015 10:03 AM

This is resolved, there wasn't actually an issue...

As originally configured (not by us!) there were > 250 robots under the primary hub, some of the robots are on slow links and a few of the robots are not responsive.

Checking the log it was looking for a bunch of probes, it was finding the probes on the primary server but  then also looking for the same probes on every other robot under the hub…

I reduced the number of robots by moving them to another hub and the verify robot (where it is actually verifying probes) stage completed after > 1 hour on 40 servers

It would be good if CA put something in the notes to warn about this behavior and also something on the install screen.

I was going to move the robots but later in the project…