AutoSys Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

• 1.  Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted May 27, 2015 09:25 AM

Hi,

I am going to migrate my CAWA 11.1 to 11.3 and before that, the company wants to make some test. So, i installed a new manager 11.3 version and now, i want to add all the agents, but we need to work at the same time with manager 11.1 and 11.3. Then, how to set up the agents in order to work in both managers?

Thanks a lot.

Isaac

• 2.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted May 27, 2015 09:30 AM

The Event process(Scheduler) updates the agent automatically. so as long as encryption is the same the agent should be communicate back. its all about the ports etc.

Never hurts to get a test machine.. and do a POC so you know what to do.. ;-)

Good Luck.

• 3.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted May 27, 2015 10:54 AM

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your answer. But, i need to add the agent in the topologies, how can i do that?. I need some special configuration in the agent?

Thanks a lot.

Isaac

• 4.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted May 27, 2015 11:12 AM

Isaac

???

If the agent is installed and only the agent .. and as long as the ports are the same you should be fine.

you insert the machine into the autosys db. then issue an autoping. that should be enough to insert The scheduler's information into the agentparm file.

we are talking autosys correct?

• 5.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?
    Best Answer

Posted May 27, 2015 11:36 AM

There are 2 ways to do what you want:

1. Update the agent parameter file.
    2. Install a second instance of the ESP Agent for connectivity to the alternate Manager.

After you do either Option 1 or 2 you then need to update the Agent Definition File on the 'new' Manager

Option #1  Details

Update Agent Parameter File - copy the 4 lines with "communication.manager*_1" and change 1 to 2.  Then update with your environment specific information.

communication.managerid_1=<WLM #1 ID>
    communication.manageraddress_1=<WLM #1 Address>
    communication.managerport_1=<WLM #1 Port>
    communication.monitorobject_1=<WLM #1 Monitorobject>

communication.managerid_2=<WLM #2 ID>
    communication.manageraddress_2=<WLM #2 Address>
    communication.managerport_2=<WLM #2 Port>
    communication.monitorobject_2=<WLM #2 Monitorobject>

After you add the information for Manager # 2 items then define the agent in Manager #2 agent definition file and save changes.

For ESP on a z/OS mainframe if would do the following.  Substitue with the appropriate steps on dSeries.

From Page Mode

Check Syntax
    OPER LOADAGDF '<Agent Def File DSN>' TEST

Update Agents
    OPER LOADAGDF

Restart ESP agent on server

From Page Mode

Check Current Status

ESPCOM DEST(<AGENT NAME>)

Send Test Message

AGENTMSG . . <AGENT NAME> . . CONTROL STATUS

Check Status

ESPCOM DEST(<AGENT NAME>)

If output of ESPCOM shows 'SEND OK', then run a test job

Is this what you are looking for?

• 6.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted May 27, 2015 12:10 PM

Hi Rick,

I am going to test the first option. Thank you very much.

Regards,

Isaac

• 7.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted May 28, 2015 03:23 PM

Hi rick,

Your option one was what i needed. Thank you very much for your help.

By the way, do you know if i can set up a new ecryption key in a manager server after its installation?

Regards,

Isaac

• 8.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted May 28, 2015 04:13 PM

Je suis absent(e) du bureau jusqu'au 29/05/2015

Remarque : ceci est une réponse automatique à votre message  "Re: [CA

Workload Automation] - Could i work with an agent in two differents

managers?. How?" envoyé le 28/05/2015 21:23:27.

C'est la seule notification que vous recevrez pendant l'absence de cette

personne.

This message and any attachments (the "message") is

intended solely for the intended addressees and is confidential.

If you receive this message in error,or are not the intended recipient(s),

please delete it and any copies from your systems and immediately notify

the sender. Any unauthorized view, use that does not comply with its purpose,

dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited. Since the internet

cannot guarantee the integrity of this message which may not be reliable, BNP PARIBAS

(and its subsidiaries) shall not be liable for the message if modified, changed or falsified.

Do not print this message unless it is necessary,consider the environment.

• 9.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted May 27, 2015 11:37 AM

When installing the agent use a unique agent port and installation directory structure.  On the manager use a unique encryption key and once the agent is installed, define it to the DE topology using the correct port and encryption key.

• 10.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted May 27, 2015 12:11 PM

Hi Gregg,

I am going to take care about your advices. Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

Isaac

• 11.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted May 27, 2015 12:33 PM

You can use the imexutil to export out all of the agent artifacts in your 11.1 DE database.  Then import them into your 11.3 system.  If the Agents were all defined with the "Remember Manager Address" parameter set to true, then the agents will all update their agentparm.txt files with the new manager information.

exportagent -outdir C:\dSeriesR111Exports\agent

importagent -dir C:\dSeriesR113Exports\agent

• 12.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted May 27, 2015 12:14 PM

In the future, please remember to call out the specific engine you are concerned about in your messages.  Good luck.

• 13.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted May 27, 2015 12:31 PM

Gregg,

This is my Pet peeve with the ideatioin and questions. WA contains many variants. we need a standard that the automation TYPE be part of it.

Thank you

• 14.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted May 27, 2015 12:47 PM

Just a note:

If you would like it to talk to 2 separate managers simultaneously, the 2 managers will need to have two different names.

Sounds obvous but not always.

2cents

• 15.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted Oct 20, 2018 03:04 PM

Hi,

I have the same scenario or requirement where in I need one agent to communicate with 2 schedulers simultaneously. However the agent is not behaving as expected & jobs are not running from both the scheduler neither in parallel nor in random fashion.

1st Scheduler is of version -  11.3 SP1INC3

2nd  Scheduler is of version - 11.3.6 SP7

so on the new / 2nd scheduler, I have defined the same agent as machine definition & did autoping which is successful.

so as Steve said that agentparm.txt file will get automatically updated. However instead of appending the new/2nd scheduler details in agentparm file, it has replaced the 1st / old scheduler.

My question here is:

1. Why the agent parm file is not appending the new scheduler detail? & why its overwriting the old scheduler details?

2. when the i'm trying to add both the scheduler details manually as suggested by RickR as option#1, I am still not able to trigger jobs from old scheduler & it is stuck in ST state. From New scheduler job is running fine. SO why its not triggering jobs from both the schedulers?

3. As powod suggested in the above post "that managers should have different names". Which name exactly it being referenced here? Manager id? in my case The only difference in old & new scheduler is of HOSTNAME, rest details are same. So do you think that it can be cause for jobs not running from schedulers simultaneously. how can I change the managerid if that is the cause?

****************OLD SCHEDULER DETAIL****************

communication.manageraddress_1=abcdef.123.com
    communication.managerid_1=FS1_SCH
    communication.managerport_1=7507
    communication.socket_1=plain

****************NEW SCHEDULER DETAIL****************

communication.manageraddress_4=xyzpqr.123.com
    communication.managerid_4=FS1_SCH
    communication.managerport_4=7507
    communication.socket_4=plain

4. how an agentparm file gets updated? is it only once when the agent was defined at Autosys server.. agent parm.txt files automatically gets the scheduler details as ADDED by MANAGER

or

Whenever the scheduler is triggering the job on that agent, the agent parm files gets automatically updated as well.

can you please share the response?

• 16.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted Oct 20, 2018 04:45 PM

Sunish,

You cannot have 2 schedulers with the same INSTANCE name communicating with the same agent. It is like saying Sunish lives at Address1 and also at Address2. Where does the post get delivered? Since your instance name appears to be FS1, the agent is now confused as to whether it should send the receiving packet to address1 or to address2. There could be a discussion on how the agent can be made more intelligent to send back communication from the address it receives and make it more robus etc, but this is the current design.

• 17.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted Oct 21, 2018 04:44 AM

I also suspect the same, thanks for confirmation.

Is it possible to change the instance name now? How can i do that? Do we need to uninstall & reinstall or it can be changed manually?

Is there any other way to make agent communicate with multiple schedulers?

Also, can you  confirm this questions as well:

how an agentparm file gets updated? is it only once when the agent was defined at Autosys server.. agent parm.txt files automatically gets the scheduler details as ADDED by MANAGER

or

Whenever the scheduler is triggering the job on that agent, the agent parm files gets automatically updated as well.

• 18.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted Oct 22, 2018 03:00 PM

The internals are slightly hard to explain in this post, but there are atleast 2 scenarios where the agent gets the information from the manager and adds it to the agentparm.txt

1. On an autoping request. I think the autoping request needs to also be successful, but maybe this has changed

2. If an autoping request was never sent, but there is a good machine definition and a job that is defined to run on the agent on that server, the agent then adds the manager information first and then kicks off the job.

in the receiver log when you issue an autoping for the first time, you can see requests like CONTROL_ADDMGR or something similar. I don't have access to my environment at the moment, but you'll be able to make out the autoping request easily from the receiver.log file.

Renaming an instance on Linux/Unix is easy enough, but with the new upgrade process I don't know if it is still supported.  If you haven't ever done this before, just uninstall the instance and reinstall it with a new name. Shouldn't be hard if there is nothing running (of value) on the scheduler.

• 19.  Re: Could i work with an agent in two differents managers?. How?

Posted Oct 22, 2018 05:44 PM

is there any documentation around where in we can see the possibility of renaming the instance & other details manually instead of uninstalling & reinstalling it?

also please correct me - since agentparm file is getting overwritten / replacing the old scheduler details with the new scheduler details, then we need to define the machines in the new autosys scheduler as a pre-cutover step during job migration from old scheduler to new scheduler? 

We can't do this step in advance or prior to cutover day otherwise the jobs wont be running from old scheduler.