DX NetOps

• 1.  data aggregator does not discover VAIM server on port 1691

Posted May 29, 2015 03:09 PM

The DA cannot discover the VAIM server using port 1691.  There are no firewalls or snmp string issues.  The VAIM is 12.8 and DA is 2.4.1. 

• 2.  Re: data aggregator does not discover VAIM server on port 1691

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 03, 2015 01:46 PM

Hi Opnet,

I take it we are trying to discover a SystemEDGE host with a VC AIM installed, in the Data Aggregator?

I see it runs on port 1691 so my first instinct is to ask:

1 - Was an SNMP profile created in CAPC that is set with the correct SNMP community string and port, 1691 in this case, to get a successful SNMP response to the discovery requests?

1a - If yes, is the Discovery Profile set to use a specific set of SNMP Profiles, and if so does that list include the correct one?

2 - What specific messaging is seen in the Discovery Profile History entries when trying to discover it?

Is there a support case opened for this problem that I could take a look at in case it has additional information I can review?

Thanks,

Mike

• 3.  Re: data aggregator does not discover VAIM server on port 1691

Posted Jun 03, 2015 02:04 PM

There is not a support case right now but what I believe the problem is that there is a device in the DA that no longer exists but I can't remove it. it shows up in the search and it is coming from the data source ADA.  I believe if I can remove that orphan device and have DA discover the VAIM server I'll be in business. I tried using REST to remove the device but it comes up short.

• 4.  Re: data aggregator does not discover VAIM server on port 1691

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 03, 2015 02:20 PM

Does the ADA contributed element from the CAPC Inventory share the same name and more importantly, the same IP address, with the server you're unable to discover?

If so does that same IP address show up against a particular device discovered in the Data Aggregator views inventory? Easiest check is searching the Search tab of the DA views Monitored Inventory area for the IP address.

• 5.  Re: data aggregator does not discover VAIM server on port 1691

Posted Jun 03, 2015 02:25 PM

If I do a search for the IP address in the CAPC device inventory  it show up.  If I search in the DA in Monitored Devices, it does not show up

• 6.  Re: data aggregator does not discover VAIM server on port 1691

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 03, 2015 02:30 PM

Do you see DA polled data in Dashboards in CAPC for the ADA contributed element we do see in CAPC Inventory?

If not, then the DA doesn't know about the device or its IP based on that search, so it shouldn't necessarily be throwing an error in discovery due to the device known only to the CAPC Inventory. If that is the case something else is preventing the discovery via the DA.

If you do see DA based data in the Dashboards for the element, then the device is known to the DA and that representation is possibly discovered incorrectly in some way. If that is the case its odd its not found by IP though it may be found in the DA inventory using other things like name or description or some other unique value.

• 7.  Re: data aggregator does not discover VAIM server on port 1691
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 10, 2015 11:12 AM

Hi David,

Can this posting be marked at this point as "Answered' now that we've gotten the VM environment rediscovered in the DA and showing properly in CAPC via our open support case we worked on yesterday?

Note I'm pending answers with further detail re: how the VCAIM discovery works in the DA from the support and engineering teams. More to come on that, and the info it generates will likely end up in a KB article.

Thanks,

Mike

• 8.  Re: data aggregator does not discover VAIM server on port 1691

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 07, 2015 12:24 PM

What is the actual error seen when attempting to do the discovery?  Does the discovery abort?  Does the VAIM server come back as a pingable or perhaps inaccessible?