If my Investment does not have a Rate Matrix selected on the Financials Settings page, where are the rates coming from?
If you create a new investment and have not executed the Rate Matrix Extraction job, the Extraction table (NBI_PROJ_RES_RATES_AND_COSTS) will not have a rate until one of the following actions have occurred and you have the Rate Matrix On The Fly setting enabled:
- Post Timesheets Job: If no rates are found in the extraction table, the job will find the matrix based on the rules below and populate the extraction table and update the investment ACWP.
- It is very important to check your matrix configuration before posting timesheets on new investments or existing investments where new team members have been added since the last successful execution of the Rate Matrix Extraction job so that you will have the expected actual cost rates.
- Create a Baseline: If no rates are found in the extraction table, the job will find the matrix based on the rules below and populate the extraction table and update the investment baseline cost attributes.
- It is very important to check what rates are updated in the extraction table to ensure you have the correct rates before you post any timesheets in this scenario.
- Rate Matrix Extraction Job: If no rates are found, running an incremental or full run will populate the extraction table. If you have executed one of the previous actions before running this job, check your configuration, make matrix changes as needed, and execute a full run of this job to update the existing records in the extraction table.
The CA PPM application has a hierarchical logic built-in to check where a matrix can be found.
Here are some rules that can help you check your configuration to locate where your rates are found.
- If the Investment does not have a matrix selected, the application checks the Entity properties associated with the investment. The Entity is determined by the Department OBS Unit selected on the Investment.
- If the Investment does not have a Department OBS Unit selected, and a Timesheet or a Baseline is created or updated, the application will look for the Datamart Entity Matrix.
- If the Datamart Entity does not have a matrix selected, the application will look to see if there is a matrix configured on the Financial Setup Default Project Transaction Entry page.
- If the Financial Setup Default Project Transaction Entry page does not have a matrix selected, the application will generate a zero rate at the time the rates are extracted into the Rate Matrix Extraction table.
- There is an option to configure the Financial, Setup, Defaults page for an Entity. If there is a matrix selected on this Entity, it is not used for any rate computations from this configuration.
- When you configure a Resource's Financial Properties, if there is a matrix selected on the Entity associated with the Department OBS Unit, it is not used for any rate computations from this configuration.
- If you have both a Datamart Entity with a matrix and a Default Project Transaction Entry matrix selected, (and no investment matrix), the Datamart matrix rates are used at the time the rates are extracted into the Rate Matrix Extraction table.
- When you create a voucher Transaction Entry or a XOG voucher Transaction Entry and no specific rates or costs are defined, there must be a matrix association.