Symantec Access Management

• 1.  What is level of effort to upgrade to Siteminder r12.52 SP1

Posted Jun 12, 2015 10:10 AM

Hi,

We got the email from CA about the end of life for Siteminder r12.51.  This fall we plan to upgrade to r12.52 SP1.

We installed Siteminder 12.51 last year and have never had to do an upgrade.  Can anyone give me an idea of the level of effort needed to upgrade to r12.52 SP1?  (As compared to the initial install?)  The initial install took us several months and was a bear.

If anyone has done this upgrade, how did it go?

thanks

• 2.  Re: What is level of effort to upgrade to Siteminder r12.52 SP1

Posted Jun 12, 2015 01:02 PM

I was unaware that CA had announced an EOL date for 12.51. I recently received an EOL statement regarding 12.5.

After working with this product for more than a decade, I would say there is almost no way to predict how well your upgrade will go until you install it in DEV and perform some QA. Your ease of installation will completely depend on how many product features you are using, and what other products are integrated with SiteMinder. I would also have major reservations going to the "latest and greatest" version of the product.  You might be better off just installing all of the CRs for 12.51, unless there is some new feature in 12.52 that you can't live without.

Can you upload the text from the EOL statement regarding 12.51?

• 3.  Re: What is level of effort to upgrade to Siteminder r12.52 SP1
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 01, 2015 11:39 AM

Regarding upgrade effort, I would advise to consider the following :

- step 1 : upgrade the policy servers in mixed mode (no changes to the policy stores, iso features) keeping old admin UI and 1 older ps for admin purposes and all old agents.

- step 2 : after running for some time smoothly, upgrade the remaining policy server, policy stores and wamui and benefit of new features

- step 3 bvased on your needs, upgrade the agents.

agents are compatible with newer policy servers and only EOS when the underlying OS or web servers are EOS.

Step 1 should not represent a major upgrade work and regression testing versus updating all componenets at once.

12.5 has been announced EOS but not 12.51

Regards

• 4.  Re: What is level of effort to upgrade to Siteminder r12.52 SP1

Posted Jul 02, 2015 02:42 PM

Hi,

I recently done the upgrade from FullVersion=12.51.1.972 to 12.52.1. Just finished Our Pre-Live servers. I applied following strategy.

1. Stop 1251 policy server

2. Install 1252 policy server using a fresh policy store instance.

3. We never had WAMUI and we had been using FSSUI so far.

4. Ensure FSSUI is accessible.and keep it down to proceed with WAMUI

5. Regsiter WAMUI

6. I was able to login WAMI console successfully.

It was very plain and simple no issues found.

Then point policy server to 1252 sp1.This is where I am facing challenges because I am unable to register WAMUI w.

If you already have WAMUI installed and working fine on 12.51, i think you should be good with no surprises.

Regards,

Sanjay