Clarity

• 1.  Creating a duplicate financial plan.

Posted Jun 15, 2015 05:34 PM

Hello community!

I am interested in the pros/cons of creating a new financial plan object and adding it to the existing project tab "Financial Plans". We have a specific requirement for saving a copy of a cost/budget plan at a point in time, but we need to have it separate from the existing financial plan objects in the system. We have reviewed various scenarios, but due to the existing configuration, we cannot simply create a new version of a cost or budget plan - it must be a different object with the same structure but with different behavior and system rights.

I noticed that the "cost plan" is not listed as a investment or project sub-object, which surprised me. I haven't seen an instance where a cost plan has been used outside of an investment, but anything is possible. The financial plans tab does display all of the cost/benefit/budget plans associated with the project. I would like to mimic this same behavior, but have a different plan type/name listed on the same "Financial Plans" tab and available for create/edit/view. At this point we are simply looking at the possibilities and will drill-down into the more detailed requirements once we prove the best initial approach.

There is always the option to create a new project sub-object, but this has several disadvantages. It is listed on the project properties tab instead of a project tab. It also seemed to limit the ability to re-create the financial plan view-specifically the time scaled values for the detail.Creating a new project tab can be done as well. The best case scenario would be if we could simply XOG out the cost plan/detail objects and bring them back into the system as a new object with new views and rights. Then, simply add it as another item on the project "Financial Plans" tab. We are using v14.2

Any thoughts?

many thanks,

Michael.

• 2.  Re: Creating a duplicate financial plan.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 26, 2015 06:15 PM

Hi Michael,

The Benefit Plan and Cost Plan Objects are sub-objects of all investment objects.  It is not showing in the UI as a 'sub-object' because it is a system-restricted object.

In version 14.2 the Cost Plan Object is available for a Process Workflow and perhaps you can 'lock' a specific cost plan to control who has access to it and what can be updated.  You might add a user-defined attribute that when it is updated with a specific value, the process will kick off and identify this specific plan for your purposes.

I hope this helps you think of some ideas and if anyone in the community has some ideas to help Michael, please add your comments.

• 3.  Re: Creating a duplicate financial plan.

Posted Aug 11, 2015 07:24 PM

Thanks Kathryn!