Gen EDGE

• 1.  What is the Future of CA:Gen? How long will it still be around?

Posted Jun 24, 2015 01:49 AM

What is the Future of CA:Gen? How long will it still be around?

We only have three companies still using CA:Gen in South Africa.

What is CA's plan for CA:Gen ?

• 2.  Re: What is the Future of CA:Gen? How long will it still be around?
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 24, 2015 04:56 PM

Gen has a very long future ahead of it.  We just released the fourth interim release of 8.5 and we're starting to work on the 8.6 release.  We'll probably have 8.7, 8.8, 8.9 and (if we need a schema change) 9.0 releases in the future.  Since each release is supported for about 5-6 years, I'd suggest that Gen will be around for at least a couple more decades or longer.

Note that we have given roadmap presentations to over two dozen customers over the past year alone.  These presentations indicate all the things we've done in the past few years and talk about the things we're looking at doing in the future.  We give the roadmap presentations to individual customers so that each presentation has the latest information available at the time.  If you would like a roadmap presentation (we normally do them over the internet via WebEx so it's pretty convenient and allows for immediate answers to customer questions), please contact your account manager to set one up.

• 3.  Re: What is the Future of CA:Gen? How long will it still be around?

Posted Jun 25, 2015 01:40 AM

Thanks John

All the best

Clifford

• 4.  Re: What is the Future of CA:Gen? How long will it still be around?

Posted Jun 25, 2015 03:33 AM

It's certainly encouraging to see faster turnaround than in the past, with multiple years between releases.  And I'm encouraged at the running of CVP programs which will help Customers feed back into your cycle.

I would, however, encourage you to publicly share roadmaps if you have them.  CA has done so in the past, and it's always been useful to see.  I appreciate that what's on a roadmap is not always set in stone, but it does give insight into what CA is planning for the future.  And not everyone will know that they can reach out to CA to get a private briefing.  It would fit in nicely with the general trend towards openness and transparency that CA is embracing.

• 5.  Re: What is the Future of CA:Gen? How long will it still be around?

Posted Jun 25, 2015 09:28 PM

I concur with Dan here ... there needs to be more info publicly available. And this needs to go to the decision makers and strategists of organisations/governments. The dev community knows the benefits but it is a hard sell (I think this topic was brought up at the Edge User Group down this way late last year)

Due to costs, maintenance and competition from 'cheaper' alternatives there will be less sites here in Australia in the near future ... nothing in the market has the ability to cross generate across varying platforms, the maturity of tools, or the impact analysis available due to the model based approach.