CA Client Automation

• 1.  Usage of SignalCompletion mechanism within OSIM (without PXE)

Posted Jun 25, 2015 04:44 AM

I have created an iso-image for OS installation without the usage of PXE as described in chapter 3 of the OSIM green book. (12.9 with Windows7 for client)

The pc is configured for OSIM, the status is "pending" and the installation is running as expected.

Only the OSIM status does not change - is stays "pending".

Is there a way to set the status during the "non-PXE" installation (installing - error/current) ?

I have tried to use "sdmpcimg -u '#MPCSIGNAL#MACAddress=...." which seems to be used together with the boot parameter "SignalCompletion" for unix-OS like RedHat or ESX. The status is changed in the file bsmstat.dat, but it does not change in DSM explorer.

How can I use the mechanism which is behind the "SignalCompletion" parameter ?

Regards

Claus

• 2.  Re: Usage of SignalCompletion mechanism within OSIM (without PXE)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 25, 2015 06:30 AM

Hi

I am afraid that the signal completion mechanism cannot be used with the Windows images yet.

I have already created an idea on this that has been wishlisted

OSIM signal completion on windows

please feel free to add your vote and comments on the idea

The status change is documented in the original DSM r11 green book

Status Change to Current

Agent install=

his parameter controls when the status change for a specific configuration will change from Installing to Current.

Agent install = No

With this option, the status will change to Current the first time the target boots from hard disk after the boot images have completed their processes.

Agent install = Yes

With this option, the status will remain Installing until the agent plug-in has been installed. When the new agent registers with its scalability server this information is passed to the OSIM system and the status is then changed to current.

BMSConfigID

The BMSConfgID is the ID of the OS installation job in the database. The manager sends the BMSConfgID as a job parameter to the target.

After the installation of the common agent the agent (CSM plug-in) reads the BMSConfigID from c:\osimconf.ini and sends it with the report to the manager.

The manager compares the reported BMSConfigID with the job ID in the database. If it fits, the installation job becomes current. Otherwise we assume the installation has not finished correctly and it is set to Failed with the following error:

[OSM010018] A started OS installation has been aborted on the target.

C:\osimconf.ini is created during the execution of the custom.cmd file contained in the OSImage. If the Custom.cmd is customized, care must be taken to not change any of the entries relating to BMSConfigID or osimconf.ini. If these are modified, it can lead to all future OS installations failing because the agent will not be able to report the BMSConfigID to the Manager.

Does this help?

Rich

• 3.  Re: Usage of SignalCompletion mechanism within OSIM (without PXE)

Posted Jun 25, 2015 08:14 AM

Hi Rich,

"sdmpcimg -u '#MPCSIGNAL#MACAddress=...." is included in the 12.9 templates for XEN, RHEL6, ... so I did hope I can use this in my windows image as well.

So the difference is in the sdmpcimg excecutables as the boot server shouldn't distinguish between win and linux when getting status updates ?

Looking at the OSIM job states diagramm in the advanced topics r11 green book did give me the hint to the "switchfile" parameter.

I hadn't changed it in the <bootimage>.2 file as the installation went fine and I wasn't aware that this influences the job status. After the changes it is running fine now and changes the job status as well.

So I don't need the "MPCSIGNAL" call right now, but have nevertheless voted for the signal completion idea :-)

Thanks for the infos and the hints to the r11 green books which in the end led to the solution.

Regards

Claus

• 4.  Re: Usage of SignalCompletion mechanism within OSIM (without PXE)
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 25, 2015 08:46 AM

Hi

Yes this explains the issue. Without modifying the switchfile parameter correctly the image.cmd would not have run and the parameters would not have been written.

If you are implementing the OSIM without PXE process you will need to ensure all the steps are followed as per the GB.

Can you please mark this thread as answered as you have the solution.

regards

Rich