Datacom

• 1.  Datacom/DB DBA Training material

Posted Jun 25, 2015 08:42 AM

Would anyone have a copy of Datacom DB DBA training course for beginners they could share?  Maybe a DBA course that was presented at CA-World. 

• 2.  Re: Datacom/DB DBA Training material

Posted Jun 29, 2015 03:33 PM

Is anyone able to help out this user with their question?

Thank you!

• 3.  Re: Datacom/DB DBA Training material
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 30, 2015 10:09 AM

Mike,

Please contact Kevin Shuma (kevin.shuma@ca.com<mailto:kevin.shuma@ca.com>) or me (dale.russell@ca.com<mailto:dale.russell@ca.com>) directly in regard to your request for Datacom DBA education materials.  Thanks!

Dale Russell

• 4.  Re: Datacom/DB DBA Training material

Posted Jun 30, 2015 11:44 AM

Dale,

Not sure I understand why this isn't something that can be shared with the

community?  Mike is just asking for beginning DBA training.  You can

Google the bookshelf now.  Surely we can make a basic course available as

well.

Thanks, Mike

• 5.  Re: Datacom/DB DBA Training material

Posted Jul 06, 2015 01:46 PM

Mike B and Mike G,

I too would like to see a Datacom basics class be made publicly available to all Community members.  I have one backup DBA who I need to provide some training too as well as many Ideal and COBOL application programmers who have never been taught some of the fundamental basics related to application programming with Datacom/DB RAAT and SAAT and rarely touch Datacom SQL.

I also have several layers of new non-mainframe managers who could also stand to have a basic concepts class just so they can understand and can relate to the various parts and terminology.

None of these folks would be allowed to attend a preconference training event nor would the company be interested in paying for a CA instructor to come on site.

CA Datacom has been around long enough that wherever the masses are should have been trained by now.  Today we are down to pockets of people who need to be trained and can be trained by senior Datacom technicians on site with no additional EXPENSE.  Basic training by now should be rolled into and considered part of the annual maintenance license fee since it has been years since the product has been aggressively marketed anywhere.  We all need to maintain the existing sites and their new replacement personnel that will help companies keep using this solid backbone product line. 

Bill Matthias

• 6.  Re: Datacom/DB DBA Training material

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 30, 2015 12:15 PM

Mike G and Mike B.

I asked Dale to respond to Mike B. and have him reach out to directly to me.

The CA Datacom DBA training provided at CA World and at CTC 2015 is CA copyrighted material.  As such it is not something that should be openly distributed by customers who have a copy as it would raise issues with possible violation of said copyright.

A few years back we did have a version of the course on the CADRE Community web-site and folks could download it (after checking a NDA box), but that offer expired after 6 months or so.

For now, it is much easier for us (CA) to work with the requesting customer.  It also gives us a chance to see what the customers needs are and if having the material is enough or if there are other needs.

It also gives us some indication to the number of customers requesting the materials and how they are using it.

Just a few weeks ago I ran into a customer reading the DBA course from circa 2005.  The material was out of date and I am working with that customer to get newer courseware in place.

While we are still working on the plans for CTC 2016 (next spring), I am pretty sure we will be offering the training as part of the pre-con.

Let me know if this sounds OK with you guys!

Kevin

• 7.  Re: Datacom/DB DBA Training material

Posted Apr 25, 2018 04:29 AM

Hi Kevin,

I'm very late to this party, but we here have a few interested programmers and Sys Prog who need Datacom basics (and a short DBA course), but have been told that there are none available, even for a fee. Datacom does not even feature in the Learning Path which is a bit demoralising !

Is there no way that these basic courses could be made available to licensed customers ? We just missed out on CTC 2018, so that path is gone.

Thanks,

Tony Simper

• 8.  Re: Datacom/DB DBA Training material

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 25, 2018 08:04 AM

Hi Tony, we have a number of different webcasts available that might be of help to you.

Please go to the CA Datacom Video and Recorded Webcast Index<https://support.ca.com/us/product-content/recommended-reading/technical-document-index/ca-datacom-video-and-recorded-webcast-index.html> to see if there are some items here to help get you started.

• 9.  Re: Datacom/DB DBA Training material

Posted Apr 25, 2018 08:41 AM

Thanks Don, I shall check them out.

Best regards,

Tony Simper

• 10.  Re: Datacom/DB DBA Training material

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 25, 2018 06:59 PM

Tony (Mike and others),

We are sorry you were unable to attend CTC 3.0.  It had a lot of great content for the new DBA, applications programmer for Datacom and the SYSPROG.  We will be looking to make some of the most popular sessions available via communities WebEx broadcast.

The standard DBA/SYSPROG  intro course for Datacom is still being taught but is strictly an instructor led course. The scheduling depends on the the availability of an instructor and number of students attending.  We are investigating other methods to get this basic information available to the customer base.

As Dale indicated in his response, please reach out to Dale or I directly to discuss your sites needs.

Regards,

Kevin Shuma