Gen EDGE

• 1.  Reverse engineer CA:Gen to generate UMLs??

Posted Jun 26, 2015 12:45 AM

The application that I deal with is a legacy system developed using CA:Gen and is quite complex. As Gen is Model driven, does it provide plugin/tools/utilities to create UML diagrams or functional diagram at application level? These diagrams will help me understand the application functionalities in a better manner.

• 2.  Re: Reverse engineer CA:Gen to generate UMLs??

Posted Jun 29, 2015 02:05 PM

CA does not provide any plugin/tools/utilities to create UML diagrams but I believe some of our partners do have products available to do that.  These products export the model from Gen into a UML model making certain assumptions about what Gen objects map to what UML objects.

Before getting into that, you may want to try looking at your model(s) using the Activity Hierarchy Diagram provided in the Gen toolset.  Assuming this system was well designed, this diagram may help you to gain the kind of understanding that you are looking for.  You might also check the Packing Diagram, Navigation Diagram and Dialog Design Diagram for more detailed information.

• 3.  Re: Reverse engineer CA:Gen to generate UMLs??

Posted Jun 29, 2015 07:40 PM

There are a bunch of third party products available if your model is too large to view effectively via the toolset.

Off the top of my head (and with some quick googling) here are some (apologies to those companies whose tools I miss):

Model Reporter - not uml but creates some nice reports to look at your data model - Rainier Software - ModelReporter for Advantage Gen (eval available on site)

CA ERwin has an import tool for Gen models - Metadata Integration - CA ERwin

I found this one if you use IBM Rational for data modelling - TOOLBUS: CA Gen Importer for Rational Software Modeler (eval available on site)

Jumar Solutions has a product as part of their MAPS suite - can't find the name on the web but I do remember they had one.

You can also get decent data out of the models via Response Systems AccessGen product (Response Systems :: Client Server Encyclopedia Solutions) or IETs Object List+ (Object List+).

Note, there could be others ... as there are a number of third party tools available for CA Gen.

I have seen most of these in action ... at my previous site the developers used to love ModelReporter and the DB2 DBAs liked using ERwin to view the data model in a nicer way. It wouldn't hurt to approach some of these companies and see if you can get a trial to ensure you can get close to the result you desire.

Also don't know what software you already have available at your site ... so some of these could already be available in some form or another.