Gen EDGE

• 1.  Are TE web services supported on the linux plattform ? if not , why ?

Posted Jul 03, 2015 04:29 AM

Seems that using TE webservices ar supported on all but the linux plattform. Why is linux left out ?

kind regard, thomas

• 2.  Re: Are TE web services supported on the linux plattform ? if not , why ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2015 07:34 PM

Hi Thomas,

I believe John Carter has this on his to-do list.

Can you please create a new Idea for this request so that others may also vote on it.

Thanks very much

Regards,

Lynn

• 3.  Re: Are TE web services supported on the linux plattform ? if not , why ?

Posted Jul 08, 2015 02:22 PM

Thanx, Lynn_Williams, for your response.  It is definitely an idea that needs to be discussed on the ideas site.  But as to the question of why Linux was not included as a target for the web service TE, I believe it was just a matter of lack of resources to test still another target environment.  I think the code is in the TE and the web service support probably even works on Linux but because we could not QA it and support it, it was not included as a supported platform.  As Lynn says, add an idea for it to be officially supported and let's see what kind of support we get.

• 4.  Re: Are TE web services supported on the linux plattform ? if not , why ?

Posted Jul 08, 2015 06:32 PM

With respect John, this isn't an idea - it's the technical debt that CA incurs by offering Gen in the first place.  The biggest value proposition that Gen provides is a platform agnostic solution that allows people to pick up and move pieces of their application to whatever platform is strategic/cheap enough for a business's goal, as long as it aligns with a platform Gen builds on.  And this particular value proposition has been slowly eroding over time as features come out that are fractured in their support base.

If a customer is genuinely thinking of shifting platforms, they have to code to the lowest common denominator - and broadly, that's a lot of the new features from Gen in the past couple of releases they have to rule out (no BLOBs or webservice consumption on mainframe, no autonumber support outside of the big 3 DBMSes, or even ODBC support for it while targeting them, lack of some language features in Web View that were supported under Web Generation, table partitioning only for DB2 when other DBMSes support it, the 16MB CFB, etc.)

I appreciate that CA, like all organisations, has limited resources and has to focus on what matters - but to me, consistency of features across platforms would have to rate pretty highly, as I think that's where Gen's key value proposition lies.

• 5.  Re: Are TE web services supported on the linux plattform ? if not , why ?

Posted Jul 08, 2015 06:45 PM

Daniel, I could not agree more that one of Gen's biggest strength's (if not its biggest) is the ability to move between platforms knowing that the same functionality is available (or as close as possible) on the other platform.  The reality is, due to constraints beyond our control, that sometimes is just not possible.  We're working on minimizing some of those differences (for example, BLOB and web service consumption for the mainframe will come in due time), we have to have some way of prioritizing other things and TE web services on Linux currently does not have priority.  However, if it is added as an idea and it gets a reasonable number of supporters, it is definitely something that can be addressed, especially since the functionality is probably already there and all that is needed is for it to be officially blessed.  But blessing TE web services on Linux means that something else does not get done so having the support of people in this community to help decide what is most important, really does help.

BTW, I really appreciate your comments on many subjects in the EDGE community; it is extremely helpful and desired.

• 6.  Re: Are TE web services supported on the linux plattform ? if not , why ?

Posted Jul 08, 2015 07:31 PM

John,

As I say to my boss, he pays me to have opinions   They might be ill informed at times (though I try not to), but I'll have them.  So I'll be more than happy to contribute where I can on the hope it'll be useful.  We all have a vested interest in seeing Gen succeed, so while we may differ in opinions, we always have a long term goal in mind.

Having said that, members of the community will be inherently selfish in their ideas (which includes me, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!).  They have their own needs and goals, and will generally not need to worry about the longer term picture for Gen.  They'll be looking for satisfaction on a shorter time scale than you will be, and may see no immediate need to vote for things that have longer term ramifications.  I'm sure you'll get plenty of conflicting ideas.  But there'll be some ideas that may see no immediate value to the community, but have a larger pay off.  To me, the obvious candidate there is Gen migrating to a unified encyclopaedia model (so no separate HE/CSE tables) which is underpinned by Unicode.  It'll greatly simplify CA's technical debt (no secondary reimplementations, drastically simplified code page scenarios), and should allow you to turn around features significantly quicker because of it.  But in the here and now for any customer?  There's probably no real value for them, and I doubt it'd get many votes.

The challenge, I suspect, will be to weave those ideas into a larger, longer term vision.  It's easy for me to armchair quarterback, I don't envy your staffing and resources issues.

• 7.  Re: Are TE web services supported on the linux plattform ? if not , why ?

Posted Jul 09, 2015 10:53 AM

I also have a problem with the web services not being on Linux.  We also have a problem with Linux being left behind.