DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  WebSphere 8.5.5 Liberty Profile Agent Installation

Posted Jul 05, 2015 08:57 AM

Hi There,

Is there any documentation on how to install CA APM 9.7.1 agents on WebSphere 8.5.5 Liberty Profile?

Can we use the same installation document as the one provided for 9.7.x?

What about customizations? Anything special needed?

Thanks,

Luke

• 2.  Re: WebSphere 8.5.5 Liberty Profile Agent Installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 05, 2015 05:21 PM

Hi Luke,

Yes the APM 9.7 wiki documentation applies to all 9.7.x releases.

For WebSphere 8.5.5. Liberty Profile, from IBM web page "About WebSphere Liberty" (https://developer.ibm.com/wasdev/websphere-liberty/) a Liberty instance could have up to 40% Apache code:

WAS_Liberty_Built on Open Source.jpg

Therefore depending on what components you have installed maximising OOTB Liberty metrics should be more in line with the Apache code/classes that are instrumented in the agent pbd's for Tomcat referenced by the Tomcat agent profile. You could run a test to compare the Tomcat agent profile with the WebSphere agent profile to compare what extra metrics you get.

Hope this helps.

• 3.  Re: WebSphere 8.5.5 Liberty Profile Agent Installation

Posted Jul 06, 2015 03:16 AM

Thanks Lynn,

However, I am facing the following problem:

1-      It looks like there is already another javaagent parameter in the server startup: set JAVA_AGENT_QUOTED="-javaagent:!WLP_INSTALL_DIR!\bin\tools\ws-javaagent.jar"

2-      If I substitute it to " -javaagent:C:\IBM\wlp-javaee7-8.5.5.6\wlp\wily\Agent.jar -Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile=C:\IBM\wlp-javaee7-8.5.5.6\wlp\wily\core\config\IntroscopeAgent.profile", I am getting an error: Error” Cpould not find or load main class  -javaagent:C:\IBM\wlp-javaee7-8.5.5.6\wlp\wily\Agent.jar -Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile=C:\IBM\wlp-javaee7-8.5.5.6\wlp\wily\core\config\IntroscopeAgent.profile.

Any advise?

Luke Kabamba

Consultant

NIC Operation

Ext 2703

Mobile +966 56 294 5200

• 4.  Re: WebSphere 8.5.5 Liberty Profile Agent Installation
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 06, 2015 03:57 AM

I managed it to work by adding the following line in the Set JAVA_PARAMS_QUOTED section of server.bat:

set JAVA_AGENT_QUOTED=!JAVA_AGENT_QUOTED! -javaagent:"C:\IBM\wlp-javaee7-8.5.5.6\wlp\wily\Agent.jar" -Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile="C:\IBM\wlp-javaee7-8.5.5.6\wlp\wily\core\config\IntroscopeAgent.profile"

Thanks

• 5.  Re: WebSphere 8.5.5 Liberty Profile Agent Installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2015 06:20 PM

Hi Luke,

Glad to hear that

Ii looks like your original double quotes before the -javaagent JVM option meant that it was not being correctly interpreted as an option.

Regards,

Lynn

• 6.  Re: WebSphere 8.5.5 Liberty Profile Agent Installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2015 10:17 AM
    Never run different vendor products to monitor JVMs. At best, you'll only have performance issues. At worst, the app won't start.

• 7.  Re: WebSphere 8.5.5 Liberty Profile Agent Installation

Posted Jul 06, 2015 11:03 AM

Hi Hiko,

What do you mean?

What's the implications in this case?

• 8.  Re: WebSphere 8.5.5 Liberty Profile Agent Installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2015 11:05 AM
    You stated previously that another agent was installed. My comment was directed at that.

• 9.  Re: WebSphere 8.5.5 Liberty Profile Agent Installation

Posted Jul 06, 2015 11:09 AM

Sorry Hiko,

Maybe I didn't express myself very well, no, there's no other vendor agent installed.

Thanks,

Luke