Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture

• 1.  14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture

Posted Jul 14, 2015 05:07 PM

Hi all.

Rolling up my upgrade sleeves. We run the Small Architecture as detailed in page 287 of the install guide.

small_architecture.jpg

Our Architecture:

architecture.jpg

We'll need to keep Business Objects around for a bit while we migrate reports. How will Jaspersoft change my architecture? Will I want to stand up another server (clarity-vp04) dedicated to Jaspersoft? The Architecture Examples section of the 14.2 Installation guide makes no mention of Jaspersoft or how it fits into your architecture.

• 2.  Re: 14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 15, 2015 02:18 AM

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the feedback, I will pass on the information to our documentation team. Yes you need to have another server where you can install the jasper soft and you will need also a database for jasper soft schema.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 3.  Re: 14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture

Posted Jul 15, 2015 04:08 AM

From my investigation on jaspersoft, some other things to think about:

• You will need the new clarity DWH hosted, you can have this on a separate DB.
    • Jaspersoft has a dedicated DB, where as default CABI business objects uses it's own "virtual" DB for the CMS.

I'd advise to set up an additional server to host jaspersoft in the migration.

At least in 14.2 you can have both jaspersoft and BO set up, so again additional server would allow both to exist concurrently.

• 4.  Re: 14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture

Posted Jul 15, 2015 07:56 AM

Thanks Suman, Andy. I wish I could mark you both correct. I will update my Architecture visio today with the above recommendations. I'll post it here for confirmation that I'm not screwing up and maybe it'll help the next forum traveler. We're adding CAPA this release as well. Suddenly my Small Architecture ain't so small anymore.

• 5.  Re: 14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 15, 2015 08:03 AM

Hi Robert,

I have marked Andy reply as Helpful

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 6.  Re: 14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture

Posted Jul 15, 2015 08:15 AM

Ahhhhh! I learn new things. Thanks Suman!

helpful.jpg

• 7.  Re: 14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture

Posted Jul 15, 2015 03:38 PM

Hi All.

Here's my proposed Small Architecture for 14.2. I doubt CAPA needs Beacon - but hey, what can it hurt? Maybe I'll piggyback another background server there in the future.

2 additional servers (Jaspersoft & CAPA). 3 additional databases (CA PPM Data Warehouse, Jaspersoft Server & CAPA Server). Am I good?

14.2 Small Architecture.jpg

• 8.  Re: 14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 16, 2015 03:05 AM

Hi Rob,

Looks good, however you don't need beacon to be running on jasper as to do that you will need the clarity folders on the jasper box. If you want to use clarity and jasper on the same then its fine.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 9.  Re: 14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture

Posted Jul 16, 2015 07:52 AM

Although I missed it on this visio, I assumed I would have/need the Reports service running on the Jaspersoft box. Is Jaspersoft not managed via a Reports service? I have had experiences with Actuate and Business Objects where the solution was to goto CSA and restart the reporting servers via the Reports service. Although I can remote into the box and to this from the command line, CA shouldn't assume all admins have these permissions and skills. I think the report service for Jaspersoft is necessary.

At a software product company I formerly worked for we had a saying every time we rolled out a new feature & documentation. "You're only new to this once". Everything I find in the docs, don't find in the docs and assume are valuable documentation and/or product considerations. Documenting this here - hope someone is watching.

• 10.  Re: 14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 16, 2015 07:57 AM

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the feedback, Report service is actually not managed by CSA and hence in BO as well as Jasper we manage it individually but yes I do understand the need for documentation. We did raise a bug CLRT-78294 for documentation and we will get it updated.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 11.  Re: 14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture

Posted Jul 16, 2015 09:11 AM

Thanks for opening the documentation issue.

While we're at it - I'll disagree with your Report service observation. I'll agree that when CABI went from BOXI R2 to BOXI R3.1 the bug is that the set Service Name variable in the servicereports template (%NIKU_HOME%\.setup\templates\bin\reports\bo\servicereports.bat) was not updated from 'Central Management Server' to 'Server Intelligence Agent'. I believe I opened this as a bug back in the day but I don't recall. It's just a standard part of my upgrade process to update this template as appropriate. For Jasper I'll do the same. I'm assuming for now I'll point it at Jasper's Tomcat service - I'll update this thread when I get there, get this up, working and 'managed'.

I highly recommend CA stay the course with the report service. Not every organization has administrators with remote rights or skills to restart services. It's been easy for me to train others that, when trouble starts (and BO starts it), goto CSA, click this Reports check box, click Stop, watch it stop, then click Start. Watch it start then test.

reports.jpg

• 12.  Re: 14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 16, 2015 09:20 AM

Hi Rob,

I am sorry if I was not clear, you can still control reports and database however as those are third party components managing individual is what i prefer but I do agree its better to have the services managed from single console.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 13.  Re: 14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture

Posted Jul 16, 2015 10:52 AM

Hi Rob,

Why not have both of your BG's running the PE and JS for some basic redundancy?

• 14.  Re: 14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture

Posted Jul 16, 2015 03:55 PM

Excellent recommendation Josh. If I'm going to add new servers and put beacon on 'em - why not add some background services as well? Updated!

14.2_small_architecture.jpg

• 15.  Re: 14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture

Posted Jul 16, 2015 07:24 PM

Hi all. Thanks for all your feedback & coaching. Here is my Viso template for the next Communities traveler in case they don't have one already.

CA PPM Topography.vsd

• 16.  Re: 14.2 with Jaspersoft on Small Architecture

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 17, 2015 03:09 AM

Thanks Rob