Clarity

• 1.  All resources should be able to report time against a defined subset of projects. How?

Posted Jul 16, 2015 10:27 AM

Hi All!

Here is my challenge:

All users should be able to report time against some subset of projects. Every now and then some new projects come, some old go.

How to achieve it, without assigning all users as team members to those projects?

Thanks in advance, Pawel

• 2.  Re: All resources should be able to report time against a defined subset of projects. How?

Posted Jul 16, 2015 11:11 AM

We have a process (GEL/XOG) to allocate resources to our "generic project codes" (sickness, holiday etc) based upon local business rules (type of resource etc).

Its still "allocating them as team members" though (albeit automatically rather than manually) - not sure if you can avoid that for project time-recording?

• 3.  Re: All resources should be able to report time against a defined subset of projects. How?

Posted Jul 16, 2015 02:24 PM

I would question whether these are projects - if anyone can book time to something, without project/resource manager approving, that has got to wreck the project's budget, plus one can't plan who is going to do which tasks on the project.  Perhaps this is more of an Agile environment, where resources can see what needs to be done and pick the work up by themselves?

If not, may I suggest using the "Other Work" object in CA PPM instead of projects - much less admin overhead.  You could still use David Morton's suggestion, just use the gel/xog script to allocate resources to Other Work instances rather than to project.  If needed, one can still do some allocation level planning with Other Work, unlike Indirect.

The time to look at using other objects in CA PPM besides projects is now, sooner, not later.  Trust me, if you start using projects for things that are not projects, you may be stuck for years.  We started with projects in ABT, wishing for other objects to use.  Now that we have them, we are still stuck using only projects!  Change is hard.  Waiting only makes it harder!

• 4.  Re: All resources should be able to report time against a defined subset of projects. How?

Posted Jul 16, 2015 05:05 PM

Regardless whether it is reasonable or practical or not Dave_3.0 educated me a while ago. Resource can only enter time for projects where they are allocated ie. team members.

Then none of the options for unassigned and unplanned will allow to leeway in assigning tasks, but they do not change the basic requirement for being a team member.

See https://communities.ca.com/message/100665023#100665023