Clarity

• 1.  Does anyone know what the approved flag is used for on the Investment Object?

Posted Jul 31, 2015 10:34 AM

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the approved flag is used for on the Investment Object?  I would like to use this field for one of our processes but want to make sure it isnt dependent on anything. Something tells me it is used when projects moved from and Idea to a Project. I can't find the information in any documentations. It seems as if it is read only and I can't change it, so I may have to create a custom attribute

Thanks
    Tammi

• 2.  Re: Does anyone know what the approved flag is used for on the Investment Object?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 31, 2015 11:01 AM

The Approved Flag (id = is_approved) is a system-restricted, virtual Boolean attribute.

It checks the value of the 'Status' (id = status) lookup attribute.

If the Status = 'Approved', the Approved Flag value is set to True.

If the Status is set to any other value, the Approved Flag is set to False.

• 3.  Re: Does anyone know what the approved flag is used for on the Investment Object?

Posted Jul 31, 2015 11:19 AM

Thank you Kathryn!

• 4.  Re: Does anyone know what the approved flag is used for on the Investment Object?

Posted Jul 31, 2015 11:12 AM

Tammi,

I’ve not seen Approved tied to anything, out of the box, through 13.1 nor my current testing of 14.2.  My expectation is that different companies will have different project/investment approval rules/process that may also be maturity dependent (e.g. a level 1, we just want to see that a project is created in CA PPM, named properly, has a reasonable start/finish and resources allocated reasonably; at level 2, a proper WBS with resource assignments may be required; etc.).

So, from my experience, over many years, indicates that CA expects customers to define their own rules, processes regarding Investment approval.

Dale

• 5.  Re: Does anyone know what the approved flag is used for on the Investment Object?

Posted Jul 31, 2015 11:20 AM

Thanks Dale, I created a custom attribute. We needed on that states yes the Senior Director approved the project and priorities.

• 6.  Re: Does anyone know what the approved flag is used for on the Investment Object?

Posted Jul 31, 2015 11:33 AM

Tammi,

Yes, if you need to record the various levels/types of approvals, what you did makes a lot of sense.  We’ve done some things with Issue resolution approval, where we take the approver name(s) and timestamps from the workflow process, concatenate the values and store them in a read-only text field on the Issue instance.  That way, when process logs are deleted, we don’t lose the record of who did what/when.

If one only has one approval step and one is not recording the name/date, then one might use a Hint or Tip on the existing Approved attribute, where the entered text defines what Approved means and users can easily see this.

There’s a variety of ways to do this – sounds like you have something that works!

Dale

• 7.  Re: Does anyone know what the approved flag is used for on the Investment Object?

Posted Jul 31, 2015 12:30 PM

I created the attribute and I used a tool tip as well, thank you so much Dale, you are the best!