CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

• 1.  ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 04, 2015 11:37 PM

Hi Folks,

We have SDM 12.9 installed in our environment.We are trying to install ITAM-APM 14.1 on top of shared mdb,but we are facing some issues and installing Asset Portfolio Management Database is failing.

Someone please help me to resolve the issue.

APM_14.1_Failure.png

Attachment(s)

zip
    install_mdb.log.zip   4 KB 1 version
    zip
    install_mdb_msg.log.zip   204 B 1 version
    zip
    install.log.zip   22 KB 1 version

• 2.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 05, 2015 12:04 AM

Hi Manirul,

Please confirm if your  mdb is local or remote. You may run this below query to check if ITAM is registration.

Use MDB;

select * from ca_application_registration;

~Vinod.

• 3.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 05, 2015 01:01 AM

Hi Vinod,

mdb is local for ITAM-APM.I can see in the install_mdb.log that mdb installation is successful but in the install.log I found "2015/08/05 07.57.17.509 INFO  [DeployThread] [DeployThread] Abort requested while running task: Installing CA Asset Portfolio Management Database" at the end .

I am not getting any point to resolve this.

Is there any harm if I install APM 14.1 in SDM 12.9 database?

Thanks

Manirul

• 4.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 05, 2015 09:22 AM

Hi All,

Any help on the same.I am really stuck here.

Thanks,

Manirul

• 5.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 05, 2015 12:15 PM

Hi Manirul, I believe you would need a more formal assistance from CA Support via a support case.

I have taken a look into the log files but more information might be needed from your environment.

Regards,

Alex

• 6.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 05, 2015 03:32 PM

Hello Manirul,

The CA Service Management Wiki has a list of the SM products and interoperability at this link:

https://wiki.ca.com/display/CASM1401/Supportability+Matrix#SupportabilityMatrix-IntegrationandInteroperabilitySupport

Service Desk 12.9 and APM 14.1 are expected to operate against the same mdb.

As Alex mentioned, if you have not already, please raise a CA support case with us and we will be happy to investigate further!

Best Regards,

Gale Bacon

CA Technologies

• 7.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Oct 12, 2015 03:56 AM

HI Vinod,

Can you plz reply on my post
    ITAM Console page not opening

Thanks

• 8.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 05, 2015 12:56 PM

I believe that different versions of the mdb are used for 12.9 and 14.1. 

referencing:

https://wiki.ca.com/display/CASM1401/Upgrade+CA+SDM+Using+the+SWING+box+Method?focusedCommentId=252584377#comment-252584…

The section calls out the need to upgrade the MDB from the 12.X format to the 14.1 format.

• 9.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 05, 2015 03:34 PM

Hi micah.garsidewhite

Alexandre_Almeida

SDM upgrade is not possible in client environment.They dont want to upgrade SDM12.9 to 14.1. They only want to deploy ITAM-APM 14.1 using shared mdb

I am preparing two different box for APM Web server and App server.I was installing everything (SDM,Database,APM Web and App) on the same server for testing.That might be a reason of failure.

By the way, do I need to execute the ITAM-APM 14.1 installer in App and Web server subsequently as like we did in APM12.9 installation ? From the wiki installation guide

Step 2: Install CA Asset Portfolio Management - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Wiki

I can see that both the components(app,web) are selected at a time that means both the components are installed in single server (maybe screenshots provided in wiki is for single box installation) but no provision is mentioned for distributed installation.

Alexandre,Please tell me what are necessary information do I need to provide for quick diagnosis,I will do that.Meanwhile,I am setting up a new environment(distributed) for testing.I also want to know whether there is any harm(or its possible) to use SDM12.9 mdb  for ITAM-APM 14.1

Thanks

Manirul

• 10.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 05, 2015 03:40 PM

Hello Manirul,

The CA Service Management Wiki has a list of the SM products and interoperability at this link:

https://wiki.ca.com/display/CASM1401/Supportability+Matrix#SupportabilityMatrix-IntegrationandInteroperabilitySupport

Service Desk 12.9 and APM 14.1 are expected to operate against the same mdb.

As Alex mentioned, if you have not already, please raise a CA support case with us and we will be happy to investigate further!

Yes, for a distributed installation, you can install just the APM app server by selecting ONLY that option.

Copy the CASM 14.1 installer to the APM app server, and then you select only the 'app server' component.

Then copy the CASM 14.1 install media to the APM web server and just select the 'web server' component.

The 'database' component is required whenever you install.

Best Regards,

Gale Bacon

CA Technologies

• 11.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 05, 2015 03:53 PM

Thanks Gale.Let me prepare the distributed environment(I am doing that right now) and reinstall the ITAM-APM 14.1 on shared mdb.If I face the same issue there,I will raise a case.

Thanks

Manirul

• 12.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 05, 2015 04:25 PM

Hi Manirul,

If you reinstall against the same mdb - be sure to clear all the entries from the al_cdb_configurationparameters and al_componentinstallstate tables before you begin the next clean installation.  (Service Desk 12.9 does not use this table, but it is used by SDM 14.1 and APM 14.1).

The installer looks in these tables just after you enter the database credentials and re-uses the entries it finds in the al_cdb_configurationparameters table.

So for a clean install, clear these 2 tables first.

Also, best to remove the 'APMWebSite' in IIS,  (if that is what you called it during installataion) from the APM Web Server.  Just delete it from within internet information systems manager, and IISRESET. 

Then you can start anew on a separate APM app and APM web server.  (Or a single APM app/web - but NOT the same server as SDM.)

Best Regards,

Gale Bacon

CA Technologies

• 13.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 10, 2015 07:09 AM

Hi Gale_Bacon

Thanks for the valuable information.

Before installing in distributed environment,I was verifying the  installation in singlebox,but its stuck,its not proceeding.

ITAM_Installation.jpg

"Preparing CA Asset Portfolio Management Installation" is completed but still its not proceeding to the next step "Installing CA Asset Portfolio Management Database". I waited for a long time approx 5-6 hours but it was on the same step and the installation never completed.

I have installed SQL Server and EEM on this box and tried to install app and web components on this same box.But it never completed. I am not getting any error as well. I did not find any reason to be stuck here.

Please look into this problem.I never faced this kind issue.

Thanks,

Manirul

• 14.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Oct 12, 2015 04:13 AM

Hi Gale

Can you plz help

ITAM Console page not opening

• 15.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 10, 2015 08:34 AM

Hi Manirul,

It looks as though the install is seeing an old install. Please uninstall using these steps and try a re-install.

1.Delete the following registry entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\CA\Shared\ITAM
    2.Also check the MDB database in the table al_cdb_componentinstallstate for any entries having the application server machine name. If there are any of these entries, then delete them from the table.

Rebooted then Re- Install

Respectfully,

Carol Uranker

• 16.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 10, 2015 09:04 AM

Hi Carol,

I will try that.Actually this is the first time installation,i.e ITAM-APM 14.1 was not installed before on this server.I created this single box for only ITAM-APM 14.1 installation for testing.For that I have installed SQL Server 2008, and EEM on this same server. and IIS, jdk 1.7 (32 bit) and .NET framework 3.5.1 features as prerequisite.Am I missing something?

Thanks

Manirul

• 17.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 10, 2015 03:17 PM

Did anyone face this kind of issue? I have worked a lot with APM 12.9 but never faced issue like this.I hope there must be something which I am missing for APM 14.1 but couldnt figure out what exactly it is.

Thanks

Manirul

• 18.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 10, 2015 03:49 PM

Manirul,

From the APM 14.1 server, run '%temp%' and you should see a few 'CA Asset Portfolio Manager' installation logs.

Please upload these to this message and I'll have a look.   also, it might be good to put in a support case with us for further investigation.

Best Regards,

Gale Bacon

CA Technologies

• 19.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 10, 2015 06:33 PM

Hello Manirul,

Did you add a JAVA_HOME variable with the path to the JDK?   (You do not need the JRE_HOME with 14.1)

For example, if JAVA is installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\JAVA\JDK1.7_40, then JAVA_HOME should be the same path.

In addition, the PATH also needs to be updated with the path to the java \bin directory, for example:  C:\Program Files (x86)\JAVA\JDK1.7_40\bin

To check if java is installed, from a command prompt, execute:  where java

Best Regards,

Gale Bacon

CA Technologies

• 20.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 10, 2015 09:03 PM

Hi Manirul,

I went through your install.log. It gave

2015/08/05 00.57.44.818 DEBUG [DeployThread: Installing CA Asset Portfolio Management Database] [InstallITAMDatabase] running ITAM install Database task

2015/08/05 02.26.45.617 INFO  [Thread-12] [ActiveProcessHolder] Exit Monitor. Process ID (PID): 8924

2015/08/05 02.26.50.451 DEBUG [Thread-12] [CommonProcessUtilities] Command terminated with exit code: -2147023294

2015/08/05 02.26.50.538 DEBUG [Thread-12] [SilentITAMInstall] ITAM Exit Code: -2147023294

2015/08/05 02.26.50.625 DEBUG [Thread-12] [SilentITAMInstall] Install/Upgrade failed. Firing Task Error.

2015/08/05 02.26.54.100 DEBUG [DeployThread: Installing CA Asset Portfolio Management Database] [ITAMConfigTask] ITSM install task failed, exiting install

the install_mdb.log that was provided, that has good information about the Common Tables (CDB) that got added as part of 14.1 installation for APM.  This went through fine.

08-05,00:55:46 Executing post-process: "C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\\casm\mssql\setupmdb_post.bat"

08-05,00:55:51 Created the mdb signature

08-05,00:55:51 Setupmdb_post exit /B return code=0

08-05,00:55:52 Updating the MDB Common Component Directory

08-05,00:55:52 Copying the MDB resources to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\SC\Mdb\Windows'

08-05,00:56:50 MDB setup completed successfully

Its the next section, the real ITAM MDB database creation that file.  The logs are mostly located in a directly like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\ITAM\MDB\install_mdb.log        (Note: its the same file name, but the role this file is playing in the installation is different).  This file is much bigger in size normally if it was successful.

My best bet is that the above log file contains some key information as to why your setup is failing.

Hope this helps

_R

• 21.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 11, 2015 07:07 AM

Hi All,

Here is the complete scenario:-

I have prepared a box only for ITAM-APM 14.1 installation.SQL server 2008,IIS,JDK 1.7(32 bit) and .NET framework are installed.JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME are also set.Now I installed EEM on this server (BI and PAM are not installed for this demo). Now I started installing ITAM-APM 14.1 and after completing the 2nd step(in the screenshot ) the server got restarted and when it was up again the  installation did not start automatically.So I had to remount the installation media and start the installation again from scratch and the installation got stuck as shown in screenshot

I could see there is no directory created like this "C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\ITAM" and I cant see any error anywhere in log files.

Thanks

Manirul

Attachment(s)

• 22.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 11, 2015 12:27 PM

Hi Manirul,

Thank you for providing the additional info here. I went through the files above and cannot pin point which section is stuck.  Everything shows success, but I'm wondering if we hit some looping condition unknowingly because it thinks ITAM is installed already.  In 14.1 we provide a database clean up tool on the 14.1 ISO image.  Maybe we could remove the entries for the current hostname and product = ITAM  using that tool.   This should force the installer to re-do the base ITAM install prep and proceed forward.  That's my best guess at this time, unfortunately.

This post has some FAQs about the tool: FAQs - DB Cleanup Utility   Thank you Naveen_Desham    and our wiki also has information about this -> https://wiki.ca.com/display/CASM1401/Run+the+Database+Cleanup+Utility

_R

• 23.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 11, 2015 10:02 PM

I have seen a long-running issue recently with APM/ITAM installing in a shared SDM mdb, due to APM specifying an SQL collation sequence that is incompatible with the collation sequence used by SDM.  I don’t know whether that showed up during the installation or afterwards.  SQL logs might show something?

Regards,

James

• 24.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 12, 2015 12:38 PM

Hello Manirul,

From the CA Asset Portfolio log, I believe the point of failure is on the 'restart', but cannot be sure until we see one more log (below).

It is trying to install .NET 4.0 on the restart and failing.

Can you put in a support case for this problem - and attach the following log file for review:

C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\CA_Asset_Portfolio_Management_20150811134515_0_Netfx4Full.log

Thank you!

Gale Bacon

CA Technologies

• 25.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Aug 12, 2015 01:55 PM

Hi Gale_Bacon,

I will raise a support case for this. I dont know why the installation screen is not appearing after restart.For APM 12.9 installation ,after server restart the installation screen would appear but only thing I had to do was I had to remount the installation media again and if I would follow the screen instruction, installation was smooth then.But for ITAM-APM 14.1,I have to re execute  the ITAM-APM 14.1 setup.exe again and  the installation starts from scratch i.e I need to provide everything which I did before the system restart.

As James mentioned,I still did not get chance to install ITAM-APM 14.1 using shared mdb (the mdb which is also being used by SDM 12.9) as I am facing issue in singlebox installation,I just need to know whether these two products have different collation for mdb. I checked the supportability matrix  for ITAM-APM 14.1 and SDM 12.9 ,there I found "O - Supported (Not Tested, expected to work) " sign for supportability and thats the reason I am bit worried about. If someone please clarifies it would be helpful.

Thanks,

Manirul

• 26.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

• 27.  Re: ITAM-APM 14.1 installation on shared mdb

Posted Oct 12, 2015 04:11 AM

HI Manirul

The issue u posted here, same i faced 2days back when iwas installing itam in my test evironment on server 2008. But it got resolved when i installed ITAM on windows server 2012. All things went successfully.

are you still facing any issue?please confirm

becoz after installing itam 14.1 successfully on server 2012 .im  stillnot able to login interface.following msg comes up

http.PNG

i also see all services are not running of casm

http1.PNG

and when i start this service it gives error,

http2.PNG

kindly help ...

thanks