DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Nimsoft-Netbackup Monitoring

• 1.  Nimsoft-Netbackup Monitoring

Posted Aug 18, 2015 11:46 AM

Hi,

Has anyone enabled netbackup monitoring in Nimsoft? Need some possible ways to enable the same.

-kag

• 2.  Re: Nimsoft-Netbackup Monitoring

Posted Aug 18, 2015 11:57 AM

Kag, Are you  trying to monitor Symantec netback failures?

• 3.  Re: Nimsoft-Netbackup Monitoring

Posted Aug 18, 2015 12:42 PM

Hi Issac,

Yes, I am trying to monitor netbackup failures.

-kag

• 4.  Re: Nimsoft-Netbackup Monitoring

Posted Aug 18, 2015 12:22 PM

I've done some basic stuff with the NBU command line tools, don't believe any of that is in production at the moment. You can check all sorts of stuff with them. Also looked a bit into getting stuff from ops center but that sort of died away

-jon

• 5.  Re: Nimsoft-Netbackup Monitoring

Posted Aug 18, 2015 12:45 PM

Hi Jon,

Well I did try to work with the ops center and that is something integrated with our MoM tool (CA SOI) however, it has to be fine tuned and the level of tuning that we want is not supported by the tool. Hence trying to get it through Nimsoft over a log file. The backup team confirmed about a log file and I am currently reviewing the same. And if there is an existing provision or any idea towards it, that will be of great help.

-kag

• 6.  Re: Nimsoft-Netbackup Monitoring

Posted Aug 24, 2015 11:26 AM

We monitored NBU for a few years using SNMP in Nimsoft with NOM, we had a couple of scripts that manipulated the message and pulled out the relevant bits like the host name and the message and also changed the severity based on the exit status. It worked well.

• 7.  Re: Nimsoft-Netbackup Monitoring

Posted Aug 24, 2015 11:36 AM

Can u pls share the procedure it would be really helpful..

• 8.  Re: Nimsoft-Netbackup Monitoring
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 01, 2015 10:35 AM

Sorry for the delay, basically on the NBU side did the following on the Master Server;

1) Install Java

2) Install Symantec Authorization Client (server is already installed on my Master Server)

3) Install Symantec Authentication Client

4) Start the Authorization Client GUI

- Establish a Trust between the Master Server (broker) and the client

- Connect to Authorization Server (add user root)

5) Install Veritas NetBackup Client

6) Install Veritas NetBackup Operations Manager

Configured SNMP to send to my hub server

Once that was done we had some scripts that manipulated the alarms so as to change the severity of some traps and also a script to pull the relevant data we needed from the trap

This is from memory so I may have missed a few things, sorry if I have but it has been a few years since I did this and I don't have an environment currently to test on.

• 9.  Re: Nimsoft-Netbackup Monitoring

Posted Oct 01, 2015 10:36 AM

The line before point 1) says I did this on the Master server, thinking about it it may have been the client, honestly can't remember

• 10.  Re: Nimsoft-Netbackup Monitoring

Posted Oct 01, 2015 10:52 AM

Thanks a lot for the response ☺

-kag

• 11.  Re: Nimsoft-Netbackup Monitoring

Posted Oct 01, 2015 12:04 PM

Thanks Hazard

• 12.  Re: Nimsoft-Netbackup Monitoring

Posted Oct 12, 2017 11:13 AM

I've monitored this via OpsCenter with snmp traps and then LUA scripts to seperate the alerts and make them a little more understandable.

• 13.  Re: Nimsoft-Netbackup Monitoring

Posted Oct 12, 2017 11:29 AM

If possible can u share some snaps of config

• 14.  Re: Nimsoft-Netbackup Monitoring

Posted Oct 12, 2017 11:34 AM

Unfortunately I configured this in my previous role..But I do have some of the basic LUA scripts that I used to seperate the alerts once received - just passed the alert to a script:

OpsCenter – Drive Down:

a = alarm.get()

if regexp (a.message,"/.*Active.*Drive.*Down.*\nTree.*\nTree.*\nNodes.*\nMedia.*HOSTNAME.*\nDrive.*Name.*\nDrive.*\nRobot.*/") and a.severity == "warning"

then nimbus.alarm (4,"Backup Server HOSTNAME has a Drive Down on the robot - See Ops Center for more info")

end

OpsCenter – Job Failed

a = alarm.get()

if regexp (a.message,"/.*Exit.*Status.*\nJob.*\nTree.*\nTree.*\nNodes.*HOSTNAME.*/") and a.severity == "warning"

then nimbus.alarm (4,"A Backup on HOSTNAME has failed - See Ops Center for more info")

end

OpsCenter – Service Down:

a = alarm.get()

if regexp (a.message,"/Service.*down.*HOSTNAME/") and a.severity == "warning"

then nimbus.alarm (4,"Backup Server HOSTNAME has a Service down - See Ops Center for more info")

end

• 15.  Re: Nimsoft-Netbackup Monitoring

Posted Oct 12, 2017 11:45 AM

Thanks will try and let you know