DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Transaction Trace not automatically starting for Slow Time transactions.

Posted Aug 19, 2015 10:37 AM

Incidents and defects are being captured consistently by APM 10.0 components, however, no automatic transaction traces are being captured.   If I have a trace session manually started, I can easily correlate captured traces to CEM defects.   However, all defects contain "Not available" in the Transaction Trace Link:

We can see that a "guid" is created for the defect:

Launching Webview from the defect brings up the Historical Event Viewer, but the contents in empty.

Any help would be appreciated.

LT

• 2.  Re: Transaction Trace not automatically starting for Slow Time transactions.

Posted Aug 19, 2015 10:48 AM

For you eagle-eye readers, I realize that more CorGUID in the bottom graphic is different than the ID in the first two graphics.  I had transaction trace manually running while I was creating this entry.  The WebView screenshot is from a previous defect.

LT

• 3.  Re: Transaction Trace not automatically starting for Slow Time transactions.
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 19, 2015 11:23 AM

Reviewed checklist in the newest version of the APM Troubleshooting guide I found here: https://communities.ca.com/message/241711299#241711299

Specifically I set the Trace HTTP components in the TIM Trace Options.   Also after reading further - apparently no traces are taken if Incidents already exist! So I had to close specific incidents I was interested in and when the next Slow Time occurred the trace was captured.

LT

• 4.  Re: Transaction Trace not automatically starting for Slow Time transactions.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 19, 2015 12:44 PM

Yes. Automatic transaction traces are only triggered when the incident is created for the first time. You can configure how long it runs.

CEM expects you to resolve and close incidents and will only run traces for new incidents. Also defects will discarded after a configured period of time or if the number of defects is >1000 (not 100% sure on that number). This is how you will end up without traces after some time.

So #1 takeaway: close your incidents and/or run traces manually for long-lived incidents (from CEM).

Ciao,

Guenter

• 5.  Re: Transaction Trace not automatically starting for Slow Time transactions.

Posted Aug 19, 2015 06:06 PM

Thanks - that makes sense for the most part.   I was always thinking leave the incidents open to continue gathering data, but there probably isn't a good reason at all to leave them for months and months.   Luckily I was able to find a buried sentence in a random doc that described this little detail.

Thanks for the confirmation!

LT

• 6.  Re: Transaction Trace not automatically starting for Slow Time transactions.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 19, 2015 06:32 PM

If you notice something like this in the docs you can leave a comment on the wiki and our tech pub colleagues will be notified and take care of it!