Clarity

Chat Transcript - CA PPM Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (August 2015)

• 1.  Chat Transcript - CA PPM Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (August 2015)

Posted Aug 21, 2015 12:06 PM

Miss the August PPM Office Hours - Online Chat? Check out what you missed below and be sure to join us in September for the next session!

from Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone:

Hi Everyone - We'll be starting in just a few minutes!

OK Ready for questions!

from Mark Morrow to Everyone:

Any updates with delivering a Java 8 compliant version of CA PPM?

from Rui Engana (CA) to Everyone:

Why do non-labor resources adds effort to a task when assigned? Does that makes sense?

Are we the only folks having issues with 14.2, specifically the data warehouse not populating?  We have a ticket opened for three months, but wanted to get a sense if we are the only ones with that issue . . .

from Rui Engana (CA) to Everyone:

Hi Mark, we are currently upgrading a couple of customers to 14.2 and we're not having problems with populating dwh...

from Connie Fu (CA) to Everyone:

@Rui non-labor resources do not track hours and that is what effort task is primarily designed for

from Michael Brunak to Everyone:

I am tracking changes to a Portfolio Plan and would like to query the correct tables. In addition to the "Approved" flag that has been checked/unchecked in this specific Portfolio Plan Scenario, I have also updated planned dollars. Let's say I am moving $1 from year 1 to year 2. Where would I be able to see both the original year1 and year2 and the updated year1 ($1 subtracted) and year2 (with $1 added)?

I can see many BLOB fields, but am wondering if there is an easy way to extract dollars for reporting along with the "Approved" flag.

from Nika Hadzhikidi (CA) to Everyone:

@Mark, I am aware of your issues you're facing with DWH, unfortunately they are unique. The way it works is that DWH job is copying data exactly as it is from PPM, so it really depends on the data you already have with PPM. The problems are very data specific. Many of our customers do not face any issues with running DWH.

@Rui - how big is the dataset for those that you have successfully converted and populated dwh?  We have 300+GB database, which appears to be part of the problem.

from Mutual of Omaha PPM Team to Everyone:

We are trying to gain buy-in to Clarity resource management capabilities.  Do you have any recommendations or best practices you can pass on?

@Nika - yes, appreciate your help on our issue.  Just need to make it clear to our management the scale of the issue, which is why I was curious if others are seeing it. 

We are looking to plan based on Fiscal Periods in the Portfolio Management module. Is this functionality still targeted for 14.3 releasing in November?

from John W George (CA Technologies) to Everyone:

@Mutual of Omaha - what may be helpful is that you describe your specific use case to others on the CA PPM Community. The community members may be able to help you out with recommendations and best practices. Good luck!

@Mutual of Omaha - there are also a few good videos on Youtube from CA and our partners showing how it benefits some of the more specific user cases

from Kate Holland (CA) to Everyone:

@Mark we are adding Support for JAVA 8 with our Eltz release (targeted for release late September)

from Mutual of Omaha PPM Team to Everyone:

@John and Connie, thanks much!

from John W George (CA Technologies) to Everyone:

@Mutual of Omaha - very welcome!

@Mutual of Omaha Team -  here is a presentation from CA World '11 http://www.slideshare.net/CAinc/get-asinmanagingresourceseffectively

from scott sloan to Everyone:

We'd like to explore the use of Clarity for Total Cost of Ownership.  Currently, this is done in Excel spreadsheets.  Is there any information that would provide a case study and/or samples of the use of Clarity for Total Cost of Ownership plans?

@Michael - Fiscal Periods in the Portfolio Management did not make it into Eltz - we are currently planning it for our next release following Eltz.

from CAPPM Engineering Services Team (Damon, John, Tina) to Everyone:

@Scott: Try starting here https://wiki.ca.com/display/CCPPMOP142/Manage+Project+Hierarchies

from CAPPM Engineering Services Team (Damon, John, Tina) to Everyone:

@Scott https://wiki.ca.com/display/CCPPMOP142/Manage+Project+Hierarchies#ManageProjectHierarchies-ViewaProject'sTotalCostofOwnership

@CAPPM Engineering Services Team. Thanks. Would the Fiscal Periods be targeted for reelase sometime in 2016?

from scott sloan to Everyone:

@everyone:  thank you for the links.

@Michael - yes

@Kate Holland (CA) Thanks.

Any more questions?

Don't be shy:)

from Janet Ulrich to Everyone:

Is the Eltz release targeted for late September or November?

I am tracking changes to a Portfolio Plan and would like to query the correct tables. In addition to the "Approved" flag that has been checked/unchecked in this specific Portfolio Plan Scenario, I have also updated planned dollars. Let's say I am moving $1 from year 1 to year 2. Where would I be able to see both the original year1 and year2 and the updated year1 ($1 subtracted) and year2 (with $1 added)?

I can see many BLOB fields, but am wondering if there is an easy way to extract dollars for reporting along with the "Approved" flag.

@Janet - late September

from Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:

@Michael - There is a function in the database that will slice the target attribute data for the portfolio and for the portfolio plans. PFM_PORT_SLICES_FCT - you would need to pass in the plan id and other parameters, I am planning to write a Tuesday Tip for this in the near future.

from Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:

@Michael - this is for 'target' periods

@Kathryn Ellis (CA) Thanks again!

OK Everyone - We're finishing up for today. Any more questions before we wrap up?

OK Everyone - Thank you all for participating today! Join us in September for the next PPM Online Chat!

Thanks again everyone!