Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

CA PPM EMEA Office Hours, August 27, 2015 @ 11 AM UK Time

• 1.  CA PPM EMEA Office Hours, August 27, 2015 @ 11 AM UK Time

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 24, 2015 06:50 AM

CA PPM EMEA Office Hours, August 27, 2015 @ 11 AM UK Time

Dear Community Member,

Have a question about CA Project and Portfolio Management? Connect with CA Technologies technical experts to get answers via Office Hours for CA PPM. Our team is here to help you get more out of your technology. Join us for one hour on Thursday, August 27th @ 11 AM UK time. NOTE - No audio is provided and all Q&A happens via online chat, making it a truly ‘fun’ event.

What type of questions should you ask?

•General Product Questions

•Best practices

•Commonly seen issues

•Technical content and/or scenarios you want our technical information team to focus on.

•Technical content and/or scenarios you would like our technical information team to NOT focus on.

What type of questions should you not ask?

•Please DO NOT discuss support cases – You will need to open a ticket instead

•Please DO NOT discuss support of customizations

Click HERE to add to calendar and join the day of.

*Please note that there is no audio. This is for you to submit your questions only and our experts will respond using WebEx.

• 2.  Re: CA PPM EMEA Office Hours, August 27, 2015 @ 11 AM UK Time

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 27, 2015 07:38 AM

from Shyam Beerakayala (CA) to Everyone:

Good Morning/Afternoon All

Let's get started

you can ask your questions now

from Joachim Hardt to Everyone:

Hello,

my name Joachim from Germany. I’m working for CA as an Architect since 2 month.

I have a customer, how what to use CA PPM for Capacity Management. But he do not want to plan single resources (one employee = one resource), he want to plan only with roles like Architect, Designer, Testmanager,…. Behind each role is only a capacity (like 280h/w).

What is the best practice for these case?

Way I see:

1)    Define a resource as a role?

2)     Import all resources and define the primary role, but how can I configure, that only roles da be allocated and assigned? Is soft and hard booking work with a role allocation?

A question also in this area. There are many ways to allocate a resource to a project staff team. I miss are direct information, is the resource I want to add overallocated or not. Everytime you have to open a Popup. E.g. if you are in the “Project: *** - Team – Staff” you will see the hole allocations, but in the standard you have no overview if a resource is overlo

from Martti K to Everyone:

If you create a suboject the list view is automatically created and added to the properties of the master object. If you done see that what can you do? With any other subpage you could remove the subpage and re-create it. The same if you do not see a fiel.d Remove and add again. With suboject list view you do not have delete. What can you do if you do nto see that list view in the menu of subpages. It is in the view confiugration

@Joachim, we will take this offline, this forum is primarily for the customers

@Shyam Come on now , I wann hear the asnwer as well

@Martti, are you unable to see the Sub-object list link in the Master Object properties?

from David Morton to Everyone:

hello - I have a strange issue that occurs very infrequently, just wondering if anyone else has ever seen such a thing;

I have a custom-object, which I create new instances of from a GEL/XOG job.

I have a date-field on the object that is always populated by my job and the field is marked "enter once" in the GUI so that users can not change it.

Very occasionally a user has been able to blank that field out - I believe that this is entirely accidental by the user as I think that they are only updating the record on a subpage that does not even contain the date field.

(I can tell from the audit logs that the are updating some fields and at the same time the date-field gets blanked out)

("very occasionally" is something like a handful of times over thousands of such instances and it is a simple-fix to correct the problem when identified)

This is in a v13.0 system, so I don't think I'd get any support-resolution.

@Shyam that is correct. THe master object is project. so I see for programs in one environment, but not for projects. In another environment I see it for both. I can't see any differene in the configuration. Of course this came out of the blue.

@Dave That sounds like the unsupported way of changing resource ID: on the properties page you blank a resquired field and hit save. All the required fields including enter once gets cleared.

from Suman Pramanik (CA) to Everyone:

@Dave: Is there a pattern and is it the custom date field or out of box?

@Martti - I recall that "trick", but that was a "bug" that got fixed wasn't it?

@Martti, there seems to be some corruption somewhere, we would like to look at this more, can you please open a Support case?

@Suman - all custom ; project sub-object ( a weely status report , it is the week-date that is occassionally vanishing! )

@Shyam I'll pass that to the system owner, I was thinking XOGing out the view and XOGing it back. Thanks.

@Dave THe last time I tried in an earlier version it still worked.

@Martti - agree, custom project sub-object should appear in project and program views - something has gone got messed up in the config. XOG-ing views might fix.

@Martti - hmmm OK, I'll have a play ; thanks.

@Dave: This looks to be a bug and needs more detailed investigation to reproduce this behavior with some extensive logging

@Martti, yes, Xogging from an environment where it looks good should fix it

@Suman - yeah BUG-like definately, just not reproducable (I'll try Martti's idea though)

@Martti, ruling out the obvious question, I assume you have rights on the sub-object, right?

@Shyam yes and it is not only me, the thing is if it is a project subojects if it were the rights you wold not see it for programs would you, there is no such defferentiation between projects and programs in rights - right

@Joachim - should easily be able to control ability to allocate roles (and not allocate resources) via access-rights, but you would have a problem if in other areas of the system you were allocating resources to projects (i.e. using Clarity for other reasons as well as your CapacityManagement scenario)

@Martti, that's true, no additional rights for Programs, same rights as Projects

@Martti / Shyam - access rights should be irrelevant if we are talking about the "studio" config (as long as you have studio rights!)

@Morton, Subpages are driven by rights and display conditions

@Dave - no problem in studio, I see it for both Programs and Projects . that is just a subpage entry in the edit propertis page, no sections as they should come from the Suboject list view definitions.

@Martti / Shyam - ok misunderstood the issue

@Shyam - no display condition anywhere

@Martti, yes, for sub-object link, display conditions do not apply, I was just saying in general for subpages

anymore questions?

@Martti - "secure subpages" ???

@Dave - nope

@Shyam - there are display conditions for the suboject list subpage in project edit properties

@Martti, subpages on the subobject?

@Shyam . no for the project object edit properties there is a subpage for the subobject which is just an entry an no sections

from Ramana to Everyone:

Hello, about Update EV totals job: what is criteria to select projects/taks to update the ACWP value? The job is taking anywhere 4 to 6 hours to finish in your  env. Is there a way to limit # of record selection

@Martti, I get it, are their any display conditions defined for this subobject subpage?

@Ramana: What version you are in

from Ramana to Everyone:

@Suman: 13.3 version 

@Shyam - almost there, there are no conditions, but there is a place to define them.

@Martti, agree

@Ramana: The job has a parameter section that can be used to selct the investments.

from Ramana to Everyone:

@Suman: Even with parameters, its taking time. What is the critirea to pick the  investments to process?

@Ramana, you select the Investments that you want the ACWP to be updated

@Ramana, there are other parameters like OBS Unit, Investment Manager

from Ramana to Everyone:

@Shyam: currently we are limiting to process few investments at a time. But we would like to run the job without any parameter selection.

from Ramana to Everyone:

@Shyam and @Suman: What is the main criteria to select  the  investments

@Ramana, I am sorry, did not get that, I assume you select the investments that you want the ACWP to be populated

@Ramana, what do you mean by criteria to select?

from Ramana to Everyone:

Also we noticied ACWP value resetting to zero after the deactivating the project? Any ideas? BTW, I do have case with CA 

@Ramana, thanks for opening a CA Support Case for this issue, the engineer assigned can answer these questions, as it needs time to evaluate this

from Ramana to Everyone:

ok

from Ramana to Everyone:

Both APP and BG has run process engine parameter. What are the pros and cons of enabling it in App section vs BG?

anymore questions? we have few more minutes before we close this

@Ramana: I did a webinar on this, please take a look at this https://communities.ca.com/events/1884

@Ramana: Best Practice is to run the process onn BG to reduce the load on app services

from Ramana to Everyone:

@Suman, Thank you. I will

ok, if no more questions, we will wrap this up in a minute

the next CA PPM EMEA Office Hours is targeted for Sept 24, 2015

Good bye everyone

Cheers!