DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Impressions UIM 8.31,  anyone?

Posted Aug 25, 2015 07:47 AM

Hello all,

I came back from a three week Holiday and lo and behold, UIM 8.31 was released. Reading through the release notes made me a bit weary, looked like there were more known issues than upgrades.

So I said to myself, let's take a look at the communties and see what the other techies think about it.

And I found nothing, nada, .... or my internet browsing skills have severely diminished (or the zombie apocalypse has devoured every UIM administrator). I'm not seeing a lot of activity (though it is still Holiday season)

So, anyone running 8.31 in a live environment? Is it more stable and how is performance? Is it worth the upgrade?

I currently running it in a small lab, but to be honest, I cannot see any immediate improvement. But as I said, it is a small lab and not really representative for our current live environment.

kind regards

Mark

• 2.  Re: Impressions UIM 8.31,  anyone?

Posted Aug 25, 2015 09:18 AM

I also have the CA UIM Server and UMP 8.31 installed in a small lab environment and as you mentioned, there wasn't  a lot of new features added from 8.2 - more of adding support for other things like MySQL 5.6 data partitioning, Oracle 12c , etc.  As far as the performance improvements mentioned in the release notes, it is a little hard to benchmark that in a small lab so I guess we will see when it's rolled into production.

One thing that we have pushed back to support is from UIM v8.0 to 8.2 or 8.31 as well, the total number of DB connection used (creating connection, destroying connection) with Oracle has tripled.  This is concerning to the Oracle DBA's since creating and destroying connections impacts performance.

• 3.  Re: Impressions UIM 8.31,  anyone?

Posted Aug 25, 2015 10:25 AM

8.31 is more of Controlled Release than a GA product so you won't see much adoption or new features. The 8.35 release scheduled for September will have more features.