DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  What is the difference between the graphs representing Availability and Reachability in UIM?

Posted Aug 25, 2015 04:13 PM

I'm using UIM version 8.2 and in the UMP I see graphs for Availability and for Reachability and the only probe that I have configured is the snmpcollector 2.11 and not net_connect.

can someone explain the difference? Is one using SNMP and one using PING?

I could not find any documentation about this in the GUI Help.

I appreciate your help.

Mike

• 2.  Re: What is the difference between the graphs representing Availability and Reachability in UIM?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 25, 2015 04:39 PM

Availability is a measurement reflecting if the device itself is "up" based on sysUptime.  For example, if sysUptime is 20 days 10 minutes at poll time 0 and 20 days 15 minutes at the next poll time, then the device has 100% availability because it's been a linear increase in the sysUptime.  If however, the sysUptime at the next poll is 0 days, 4 minutes 30 seconds, then it's only 90% available during that poll cycle because the device rebooted, as indicated by the reset of sysUptime, and was up for 4:30 out of the past 5 minutes.

Reachability is if you SNMPCollector can successfully poll the device during the poll interval.  Having both metrics is useful because you can see if there is a problem with the actual devices (availability) or with connectivity to the device (reachability).

-Rob

• 3.  Re: What is the difference between the graphs representing Availability and Reachability in UIM?

Posted Mar 09, 2016 07:04 AM

This is a statement from engineering on these measurements:

Reachability is whether or not the snmpcollector can talk to the device. Availability is the snmpcollector interpretation as to whether the device is actually down. This is based on the sysUpTime.

Reachability will return 100 if can talk to the device, else it will return 0 if not.

Availability - will return nothing if the snmpcollector cannot talk to the device. If the snmpcollecotr can reach the device it will query the sysUpTime. if it appears to have been up when we couldn’t talk to it, will return 100 (it was up, just not reachable), if it wasn’t up (sysUpTime seems too small), will return 0 (it wasn’t reachable, and was actually down).

iulian