Clarity

• 1.  How to monitor application expenses?

Posted Aug 28, 2015 04:50 AM

Hello everyone,

I have tried to look at the Application object briefly but I am a bit lost. We are using project object to manage almost all our work.

So basically, all expenses for Applications should also flow through projects. Is there some ootb way to get them visible from application point of view?

So what I am searching is something like this:

1. First of all, you have a project that is somehow linked to a application, or multiple applications.

2. The work is recorded in timesheet for project tasks and converted to expenses by Cost Matrix

3. I would like to see the expenses from Application object

According to my tests, If you wish to see expenses in Application side, you must enter time against them directly. If you convert tasks to project from Application, you still can't see them from Application.

Have I missed something or is this the only way to get expenses to Application?

The way I have thought it would be nice to function, you actually should be able to link individual tasks to individual application. That way you could have several applications in single project.

Is there some best practices for combined use of project and application object?

I'm sure some one is using project object and application object, so it would be really kind to share me some of the secrets of Ca PPM

Br,

Mika

• 2.  Re: How to monitor application expenses?

Posted Aug 28, 2015 01:37 PM

The way I see it Hierarchies are the method of linking different types of investments together so that the cost and effort from children eg. projectsare rolled up to the parent application..

• 3.  Re: How to monitor application expenses?

Posted Aug 31, 2015 04:52 AM

Hi Urmas,

thanks for your reply. What is the proper way to do this? Is there OOTB field where you can link a application to the project?

• 4.  Re: How to monitor application expenses?

Posted Aug 31, 2015 07:30 AM

Just go to the hierarchy tab of the item you want to be the parent and start adding children.

• 5.  Re: How to monitor application expenses?

Posted Aug 31, 2015 07:33 AM

So thats the way! Thank you very much Urmas, I will try that out and see myself how it works.

• 6.  Re: How to monitor application expenses?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 31, 2015 10:46 AM

That somewhat similar to project - subproject hierarchy except that you have more freedom regarding the investment types.

• 7.  Re: How to monitor application expenses?

Posted Sep 08, 2015 07:25 PM

Hi Mika - Did Martti's provided responses help with resolution? If so please mark the appropriate with Correct Answer. Thanks! Chris