Clarity

• 1.  Lookup used in Indirect Time Entry on Timesheet

Posted Sep 01, 2015 10:27 AM

Might be dumb, and have forgotten about this topic, but how are the charge code entries populated in the lookup for the indirect time entry on the timesheet ?

NJ

• 2.  Re: Lookup used in Indirect Time Entry on Timesheet

Posted Sep 01, 2015 11:03 AM

Do you mean how it derives the description field from the database, or how it chooses which Charge Codes to display from those available, or both / something else?

• 3.  Re: Lookup used in Indirect Time Entry on Timesheet

Posted Sep 02, 2015 01:04 AM

"how it derives the description field from the database" - yes

Regards

NJ

• 4.  Re: Lookup used in Indirect Time Entry on Timesheet

Posted Sep 02, 2015 01:06 AM

The reason I asked is this - let's say that the users do not want to see the value, e.g. Capital. If I try to uncheck the open from the chargecode on the admin side, it wouldn't allow me to do so as there are transactions.

So, I am looking for a way to hide the value. Would be great if that can happen from GUI itself, without unchecking the open option

NJ

• 5.  Re: Lookup used in Indirect Time Entry on Timesheet

Posted Sep 02, 2015 09:48 AM

All of the text data comes from the prchargecode table (it's not localized into different languages for example).

So the Description field on the timesheet takes from the Charge Code Name field on the charge code's properties UI (this value can be changed even with transactions existing).  It also corresponds to prchargecode.prname in the database.

The Charge Code column on the timesheet is the Charge Code ID field in the charge code properties UI (and this value is not allowed to be changed once the charge code has been used on transactions).  Its value comes from prchargecode.prexternalid in the database.

• 6.  Re: Lookup used in Indirect Time Entry on Timesheet

Posted Sep 02, 2015 10:48 AM

"So the Description field on the timesheet takes from the Charge Code Name field on the charge code's properties UI (this value can be changed even with transactions existing).  It also corresponds to prchargecode.prname in the database."

In the case I mentioned for the description field, I would like to hide the External charge code. Would that be possible ?

NJ

• 7.  Re: Lookup used in Indirect Time Entry on Timesheet
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 02, 2015 10:53 AM

Not entirely.. you can change the value in ways that force it to the bottom of the list (prefix with 'z') and/or use a 'Do not use' designator to discourage it from being used.  When you cannot uncheck the Open for Time Entry option I believe they would be the only alternatives.

• 8.  Re: Lookup used in Indirect Time Entry on Timesheet

Posted Sep 02, 2015 11:16 AM

"Whatever can happen, will happen."  No matter how one prefixes or renames inactive selections, users will find them and use them, even unintentionally (e.g. an old project with a task using an inactive charge code is copied as a template into a new project....).

Many parts of CA PPM already disallow use of inactive items (e.g. static lookups).  It is necessary that all parts of CA PPM function in a consistent manner, disallowing use of all inactive items (including departments, locations, charge codes, et cetera).

• 9.  Re: Lookup used in Indirect Time Entry on Timesheet

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 20, 2018 11:30 AM

Hi Nick,

do you have any idea why the charge code ID is used  as the display attribute for that lookup?

It doesn't make any sense to display the ID.

/Lennart

• 10.  Re: Lookup used in Indirect Time Entry on Timesheet

Posted Sep 20, 2018 12:16 PM

I'm no longer with CA so you may want to follow-up internally for certainty.

We can presume that since these values are immutable once used for financials, and that the IDs are unique, it could help avoid mis-entry against the wrong item as it should be made clear which values are to be used and which are not with values that remain consistent and distinct.

Should that mean the descriptive name couldn't have been included in the display too?  No, there appears to be adequate UI space for it nowadays**, but that is not the way things are and it would take development time (however small) to be committed to change it.

** Back in SVGA times the same number of columns were on a timesheet and the real estate to fit them was more scarce.  Timesheet appearances haven't actually changed that much since then.