Clarity

• 1.  Jaspersoft: Has anyone been able to create a dashboard from an adhoc view?

Posted Sep 02, 2015 07:40 PM

I have been muddling my way through Jaspersoft reporting.  According to the Jaspersoft Dashboard tutorial, we should be able to create an adhoc view as a 'dashlet' and then use this to build a Jaspersoft Dashboard.

I am able to create an adhoc view which turns into a report, but I have not been able to create a dashboard using the adhoc views.   The power of this is that you can combine multiple charts or tables into a single dashboard.  The only option I seem to get in the Dashboards app, is to insert an entire report into the dashboard (adhoc views are not visible through this page).

Has anyone been successful in creating a new dashboard through Jaspersoft?

• 2.  Re: Jaspersoft: Has anyone been able to create a dashboard from an adhoc view?

Posted Sep 02, 2015 09:30 PM

I have found a previous entry:  Re: When will CA PPM ship the latest version of Jaspersoft 6.0.1  and this explains that Jaspersoft dashboards are not yet supported until the next version.

This means that we only have the ability to create a 1:1 relationship between a view and a report in the system at this time.

Jaspersoft studio needs to be used to create what is known as sub reports to be able to display a graph with a table etc.   There seems to be very limited knowledge around on Jaspersoft Studio and creating reports are currently quite challenging (to a non-developer).

• 3.  Re: Jaspersoft: Has anyone been able to create a dashboard from an adhoc view?

Posted Sep 03, 2015 03:31 AM

• 4.  Re: Jaspersoft: Has anyone been able to create a dashboard from an adhoc view?
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 04, 2015 09:41 AM

Hi Lina,

the workaround is to create a report out of your Ad hoc view: The report can be used in the dashboard designer.

The filters defined in the ad hoc view will be also usable in the report and thus in the dashboard.

Regards

Georg

• 5.  Re: Jaspersoft: Has anyone been able to create a dashboard from an adhoc view?

Posted Sep 04, 2015 05:09 PM

Hi Georg

Thank you for your response.  You're right, if I put two reports onto the dashboard via report designer (the system did not allow me to add adhoc views - I had to save as a report first) you can create two view/report elements into a dashboard.  However, if I then try to print from the dashboard using the provided Print button, it does not display the information (all you see are scroll bars).  It allows you to view individual elements for printing, but it defeats the purpose of using the dashboard functionality.  I also found the dashboard to be so slow, even with the smallest amount of information, that it is not useable.

From within Jaspersoft studio, I am unable to open the dashboard for editing. Also, I can see the adhoc views, however studio doesn't let me do anything with them.   I also have tried to combine views/reports by using the sub report element in studio and it failed (this last part could be a user error due to my limited knowledge of studio).

I'm not sure if the next release will be a little more feature rich.  The video tutorials for Jaspersoft do not match what we have currently have available via Clarity.

Thank you.  Although I'm not happy with the outcome, it does answer my question.

• 6.  Re: Jaspersoft: Has anyone been able to create a dashboard from an adhoc view?

Posted Sep 10, 2015 11:20 AM

Hi Lina,

in fact, CA PPM 14.3 (scheduled for this month) will ship the latest version of Jaspersoft 6.1.0.

As you already saw in the Jaspersoft demos, one of the main improvements is the new dashboard designer which will definitely be great to have as the version from Jaspersoft 5.6.1 (included in CA PPM 14.2) gives room for improvement.

Until you have it avaibable, I would advise to use the Jaspersoft Studio in case you plan to combine several charts at one page.

Cheers

Georg

• 7.  Re: Jaspersoft: Has anyone been able to create a dashboard from an adhoc view?

Posted Sep 10, 2015 03:48 PM

Georg

You have made my week.  I am so excited that 6.1.0 is almost here.  Yay!

Lina