Clarity

• 1.  How to add values to a system restricted lookup?

Posted Sep 03, 2015 07:09 AM

Just wondering again...

In a system I happened to see a system restricted static lookup which had more values than the OOTB set.

Being aware that it is not supported wondering how exactly that is done.

If I try to XOG in the values the result is success but the values are nowhere to be seen - not even in the database.

Should I change the type of the lookup before XOGing and then back or is direct database write the only option?

If I do write to the database is there a sequence counter that should be updated as well?

• 2.  Re: How to add values to a system restricted lookup?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 09, 2015 07:53 PM

Hi Urmas,

In general, you are not allowed to edit System Restricted Lookups.

They often have built-in business logic that only allows values to be displayed under certain circumstances or sometimes only for certain object types.

You should not do a direct database write to a System Restricted Lookup since that could create errors if the wrong value is entered in the wrong location.

If you can't successfully make a change in Clarity, xog should be unsuccessful as well by design.

If you want to understand more about how a particular lookup works, you can open a case with support or even ask a specific question here on the communities site.

You can also copy the content of a particular lookup into a new custom lookup and then modify the custom lookup.  But you would then have to substitute your own attribute pointing to your custom lookup for the system-restricted one.  In addition, any logic that is built into the original look-up would not occur when you choose values from your own custom look-up.

I hope this answers your question.  Please let me know if I have been unclear about anything.

Sincerely yours,

Jeanne Gaskill

Senior Support Engineer

CA Clarity PPM

• 3.  Re: How to add values to a system restricted lookup?

Posted Sep 10, 2015 04:07 AM

Thanks

Jeanne_Gaskill_CA_Clarity_Support

You have not been unclear about anything, but that does not answer my question.

It is RIM_CATEGORY_TYPE.

The fact is that somebody has already done it and not left any documentation about it. Apparently the new values work with the logic which is there.

The challenge for me and my buddies is that business likes it and has requested a couple more values to be added.

• 4.  Re: How to add values to a system restricted lookup?
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 10, 2015 04:20 AM

urmas wrote:

It is RIM_CATEGORY_TYPE.

have you read ; http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec439187.aspx

TEC439187 : How do I manage the list of values for the Risk Categories Lookup (RIM_CATEGORY_TYPE)

• 5.  Re: How to add values to a system restricted lookup?

Posted Sep 10, 2015 07:03 AM

Thanks Dave_3.0

Not recently.

Apparently I was not asking the right question.

• 6.  Re: How to add values to a system restricted lookup?

Posted Sep 10, 2015 10:18 AM

I need to be educated some more:

Added the values as per the Tecdoc and see them in the "Values".

However, they are in random order even though the setting is alphabetically sorted. Have not looked at how they are displayed in the lookup, but why would they not be displayed in the lookup properties in the sequence they were entered or alphabeticvcally?