Clarity

• 1.  CA PPM 14.2 - Jaspersoft logs are not getting written  WEB-INF / Logs folder

Posted Sep 07, 2015 07:32 AM

Hi,

Jaspersoft logs are not getting written to path

< tomcat > \webapps\< JS Report> \WEB-INF \ logs

I have enabled DEBUG from JS consol and restarted services but no luck.

Any help ? Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Khushboo

• 2.  Re: CA PPM 14.2 - Jaspersoft logs are not getting written  WEB-INF / Logs folder

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 07, 2015 07:36 AM

Hi Khusboo,

After you enabled the logs, did you navigated around jasper console or tried to run any report or any activity which will generate the log.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 3.  Re: CA PPM 14.2 - Jaspersoft logs are not getting written  WEB-INF / Logs folder

Posted Sep 07, 2015 08:13 AM

Hi Suman,

Yes, I ran few reports with runs well and one report with error.

DEBUG has been enabled since few days and many users using it. but no logs found.

Regards,

Khushboo

• 4.  Re: CA PPM 14.2 - Jaspersoft logs are not getting written  WEB-INF / Logs folder

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 07, 2015 08:28 AM

Hi Khusboo,

Which logs you have enabled and what error you are getting while running the report.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 5.  Re: CA PPM 14.2 - Jaspersoft logs are not getting written  WEB-INF / Logs folder

Posted Sep 08, 2015 05:02 AM

Hi Suman,

Please see the attachment for the DEBUG enabled.

I have run the report intentionally with bulk data to see if logs are written. It's just a known error message for maxlimit of pages. (attached snap).Debug.PNG

report.PNG

• 6.  Re: CA PPM 14.2 - Jaspersoft logs are not getting written  WEB-INF / Logs folder

Posted Sep 08, 2015 10:06 AM

Hi Suman,

I would also like to add some more information on this:

Khushboo is trying to run an Out Of the Box Report : "Project Status Report" .

She gets the ERROR :

ERROR DETAILS :

The server has encountered an error.Please excuse the inconvenience.

Error Message :

net.sf.jasperreports.governors.MaxPagesGovernorException:Report 'CSK_PRJ_ProjectStatusDetail' exceeded the limit of 500 maximum Pages.

Two things that She is specifically looking for is :

She is by choice trying to generate this report error so as to check what kind of logs are getting recorded in the jaspersoft log settings.

Her question is :

1. What kind of logs get recorded in the Manage dropdown>server settings>log settings ?

2.What are the logs that needs to be enabled from this page to see the records in the tomcat\webapps\< JS Report> \WEB-INF \ logs  folder.

She has enabled the following :

SQL generated for domain queries.

Domain-based securty tests.

SQL query executer.

3.Why is the logs not written in : < tomcat > \webapps\< JS Report> \WEB-INF \ logs ?

Checked the following :

***Checked log4j.properties file from %TOMCAT%\webapps\reportservice\WEB-INF

Here we can see the location of jasperserver.logs.However,We do not find it in the location when specified.

log4j.appender.fileout=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender

log4j.appender.fileout.File=${jasperserver.root}/WEB-INF/logs/jasperserver.log

log4j.appender.fileout.MaxFileSize=1024KB

log4j.appender.fileout.MaxBackupIndex=1

log4j.appender.fileout.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout

***Are you running the C:\Tomcat\apache-tomcat-7.0.55\bin\startup.bat from the DOS prompt to the Jaspersoft server?

yes, earlier they were running startup.bat. Now they have configured tomcat as windows services.

However, in either case they did not see logs available in that folder.

***Were you running startup.bat file as the Windows Administrator?

Which user are you using to run startup as Windows service?

I am wondering if the users used to start Jaspersoft has rights to write to the logs folder location.

Now they have configured Tomcat as windows service as user having admin rights.

Also the tomcat folder has complete access to the user who is running tomcat service.

Thank You.

Regards,

R Preethi

• 7.  Re: CA PPM 14.2 - Jaspersoft logs are not getting written  WEB-INF / Logs folder
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 08, 2015 03:56 PM

I believe the root cause of your problem is that your are not using the default Jaspersoft (/reportservice) web app name.

If this is the case, than please edit the following file:

<Jasper Tomcat>/webapps/<web app name>/WEB-INF/web.xml

and locate the following line(s):

<param-name>webAppRootKey</param-name>  

<param-value>reportservice.root</param-value>

Then please update <param-value>reportservice.root</param-value> to the correct web app name:

<param-value>jasperwebappname.root</param-value>

and then recycle the JasperSoft Tomcat service.

• 8.  Re: CA PPM 14.2 - Jaspersoft logs are not getting written  WEB-INF / Logs folder

Posted Sep 09, 2015 01:57 AM

Hi Kevin,

Thanks a lot Kevin, Preethi & Suman for the quick solution . The step provided above worked with both the case. when startup.bat running from DOS and tomcat running as windows services.

However, couple of queries came in my mind -

**  Is there only one type of log file named " jasperserver.log"  is suppose to be in WEB-INF / log folder or files with other name will be generated based on logs enabled ??

**  I am curious about the difference in DEBUG setting through log4j.properties file and Jaspersoft consol, are they inter-linked ??

**  I would like to know that which logs should we keep enabled (as a best practice) from Consol / log4j which can help to troubleshoot OOTB & Custom reports.

Regards,

Khushboo

• 9.  Re: CA PPM 14.2 - Jaspersoft logs are not getting written  WEB-INF / Logs folder

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 09, 2015 02:15 AM

Hi Khusboo,

The jasperserver log resides under the below folder \webapps\reportservice\WEB-INF\logs, log4J is the wrapper used to generate the logs so yes they are interlinked. You shouldn't enable the debug unless there is an error and you need to torubleshoot as it causes performance issues.

Hope this helps

Regards

Suman Pramanik