Layer7 API Management

• 1.  Mysterious empty response message

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 08, 2015 08:40 AM

Dear CA API Management Community,

I currently facing some troubling issue, maybe someone here could help me.

I am working under 8.3 API Gateway version. The use case is pretty simple: I am developing a proxy API.

The policy template is quite usual: authorize/authenticate -> some security checks, building the request and routing to the backend service.

Response returned from the Gateway is then OK and because I left default routing option and its ${response} variable, moreover it was useless to use the “Response template” assertion.

Then I wanted to make some work on this response message. And here is the issue: for the Gateway: it is empty !

${response.mainpart} is empty

${response.mainpart.size} = ${response.size} = more than 1000 bytes (so it is not an multipart response)

Yet there is something, since I have the expected response that is returned!

Then I set the audit.originalMainPart.enable cluster property to "true" in order to check the response without any Gateway modification. I found that the backend service left empty the Content-Type header…

After Gateway processing, the response.contentType was set to “application/x-suggestions+json”.

Is it a Gateway bug case ? I reproduced it with another backend service, once again the original response Content type was empty, but this time the gateway processed response CT was « application/octet-stream »

Any idea to help me ? Did everyone already faced this problem ?

PS : between my Gateway and internet I have a proxy, but from my point of view the issue is not related to it ….

• 2.  Re: Mysterious empty response message

Posted Sep 09, 2015 08:55 AM

Some back ends doesn't return response if valid Content-type is not set in the request. Have you tried setting "Content-Type" header in the request based on data you are sending?

Regards,

Ganesh

• 3.  Re: Mysterious empty response message
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 09, 2015 09:03 AM

Dear Styganesh,

Thank you for replying to my post, I solved my problem a few minutes before your message

As first described  the requested backend service left empty the Content-Type in its responses.

Consequently I set the io.httpDefaultContentType cluster property to "application/json;charset="UTF-8" (needed for this case) and ... ${response.mainpart} becomes set and exploitable.

Thank you again.

Regards.