Layer7 API Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Taking the backup in xml format

• 1.  Taking the backup in xml format

Posted Sep 14, 2015 06:43 AM

Hello All,

Is there a way to take backup of configured webservices in xml format to read separately instead of checking every time in Layer7?

As i have tried taking the backup individual services but now i need to take bunch of services at a time.

Thanks&Regards

Rajasekhar

• 2.  Re: Taking the backup in xml format

Posted Sep 14, 2015 10:19 AM

you can use Gateway Migration Utilty(GMU) or use ESM and take a offline export of selected policies.

Regards,

Ganesh Reddy

• 3.  Re: Taking the backup in xml format

Posted Sep 16, 2015 02:26 AM

Hi Ganesh,

Thanks for your reponse.

If i am not wrong ESM is for copying the service configuration from one server to other but i need the complete configuration in XML format separately. I need to see the configuration out side of Layer7 environment.

Thanks&Regards

Rajasekhar

• 4.  Re: Taking the backup in xml format

Posted Sep 16, 2015 04:02 AM

using ESM, you can choose to migrate policies between the environments in an online manner but you can also take an offline dump of polices in a archive file. This archive will be have policy xml's.

Regards,

Ganesh Reddy

• 5.  Re: Taking the backup in xml format

Posted Sep 18, 2015 10:40 AM

i need to know that how to take the policies in archive file format?

• 6.  Re: Taking the backup in xml format

Posted Oct 06, 2015 10:53 AM

Hello,

Having any idea on how to take the policies backup in xml format to read out side of Layer7 API Gateway?

Thanks&Regards

Rajasekhar

• 7.  Re: Taking the backup in xml format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 06, 2015 11:14 AM

I am not sure about your question.

If you want to import policy in its xml format in another third-part tool it is impossible. The xml schema and logic to create object based on this are properties of CA.

• 8.  Re: Taking the backup in xml format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 06, 2015 07:48 PM

Not sure I understand either, but if I read your question correctly, you can just copy and paste the policy assertions into notepad to see the corresponding XML.

• 9.  Re: Taking the backup in xml format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 07, 2015 12:28 PM

If I understand the question it seems like you would like to get all the services off of your Gateway at once. Layer 7 has the Gateway Migration Utility for version 8.3 and above that would allow you to get all services off the box in XML format. It will also carry most dependencies depending on how the policies were developed. Here is the CA Wiki page on the GMU Migrate Gateways - CA API Gateway - 8.3 - CA Technologies Documentation. The specific command that you are looking for is migrateOut. This will effectively take a back up of the services if using the right options. I hope this helps!

• 10.  Re: Taking the backup in xml format

Posted Oct 08, 2015 01:09 PM

Thank you wauch. Its more helpful

• 11.  Re: Taking the backup in xml format

Posted Oct 13, 2015 11:43 AM

If you feel that this has satisfactorily answered your question then please mark it as answered so that everyone can benefit. Thanks!

• 12.  Re: Taking the backup in xml format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 15, 2015 12:55 PM

You can also use the restman service to get an xml copy of the policy.

For example, make sure restman has been published, and go to: https://[gatewayurl]:8443/restman/1.0/services

You will see a print out of the policy properties as well as the XML of the policy inside the <l7:Resources> element.

Ex: