Clarity

• 1.  CA PPM Tech Tip: How can I help tune a portlet for optimized performance in Clarity?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 17, 2015 01:17 PM

Are you thinking about creating a new portlet, or noticing some slowness in an existing portlet? If so, this tip can help you in optimizing portlet performance. We’ll go over some best practices in fine tuning portlet/page load times below:

1.     Set “Don’t show results until I filter” on portlets. This will improve initial load time.

Filter.jpg

2.     End users can create their own default filters using the manage filters option, instead of using “Show all” in filtering. If the portlet returns a large amount of data, setting a default filter that returns a smaller amount of results will help in optimizing performance. 

3.     Set Attribute Value Protection (AVP) to faster setting of “Use only secured subpages to protect attribute values on this list” instead of “Use display conditions and secured subpages to protect attribute values on this list”.

AVP.jpg

4.     Remove unnecessary Aggregation rows. Each row causes additional calculations which can slow down the portlet. Be sure the row is removed, and not just hidden, as the row will still calculate if it’s configured and not marked “Show”.

Aggregation.jpg

5.     Limit the amount of columns configured in the portlet. It’s recommended to limit the amount of columns returned to 10-15.

Column.jpg

6.  Limit the amount of portlets on pages/tabs in Clarity and put large portlets on their own pages. It’s recommended to limit the amount of portlets particularly on the general page, otherwise, this will slow down the log in process for users each time they log in.

7.     7.     If you are on Clarity 13.3 or lower, disable pop-ups for resource portlets in Clarity, due to a known defect. See KB: Performance Issue on pages of Resource portlets if Pop-ups are enabled.

Here is a link to the knowledge base document on this topic: http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec1980119.aspx 

• 2.  Re: CA PPM Tech Tip: How can I help tune a portlet for optimized performance in Clarity?

Posted Sep 17, 2015 02:19 PM

Thanks for sharing this tip Kristin!

Kristin Schroer wrote:

Are you thinking about creating a new portlet, or noticing some slowness in an existing portlet? If so, this tip can help you in optimizing portlet performance. We’ll go over some best practices in fine tuning portlet/page load times below:

1.     Set “Don’t show results until I filter” on portlets. This will improve initial load time.

Filter.jpg

2.     End users can create their own default filters using the manage filters option, instead of using “Show all” in filtering. If the portlet returns a large amount of data, setting a default filter that returns a smaller amount of results will help in optimizing performance. 

3.     Set Attribute Value Protection (AVP) to faster setting of “Use only secured subpages to protect attribute values on this list” instead of “Use display conditions and secured subpages to protect attribute values on this list”.

AVP.jpg

4.     Remove unnecessary Aggregation rows. Each row causes additional calculations which can slow down the portlet. Be sure the row is removed, and not just hidden, as the row will still calculate if it’s configured and not marked “Show”.

Aggregation.jpg

5.     Limit the amount of columns configured in the portlet. It’s recommended to limit the amount of columns returned to 10-15.

Column.jpg

6.  Limit the amount of portlets on pages/tabs in Clarity and put large portlets on their own pages. It’s recommended to limit the amount of portlets particularly on the general page, otherwise, this will slow down the log in process for users each time they log in.

7.     7.     If you are on Clarity 13.3 or lower, disable pop-ups for resource portlets in Clarity, due to a known defect. See KB: Performance Issue on pages of Resource portlets if Pop-ups are enabled.

Here is a link to the knowledge base document on this topic: http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec1980119.aspx

• 3.  Re: CA PPM Tech Tip: How can I help tune a portlet for optimized performance in Clarity?

Posted Sep 18, 2015 12:19 AM

Thanks for sharing this tip, Kristin

Happy Friday ! and have a nice weekend

Regards

NJ

• 4.  Re: CA PPM Tech Tip: How can I help tune a portlet for optimized performance in Clarity?

Posted Sep 18, 2015 03:42 AM

Thanks.

One way to help not to get unwanted data is to put a default filter which will bring a limited amount of data. That in addition to the do not display results until I filter.

A challenge is when a system data provider like the project object is used. Already out of the box it has a large number of attributes and additionally it may have a number of custom attributes.

In order to prevent a user to add any or all of the attributes the portled  would have to be set not to allow user configuration. However, with a system data provider the portlet will still retrieve all the attributes and run the extensive permission queries. A query based portlet with just the fields needed would therefore be much faster and avoid many of those things giving bad performance and always optimize your query.