Service Operations Insight

Expand all | Collapse all

TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

• 1.  TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Posted Sep 22, 2015 06:20 PM

I am try to add a TIVOLI ITMP data source , but I am receiving the following error :

"An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Does anyone have any idea about this error with this type of datasource?

itmp data source.png

• 2.  Re: TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Posted Sep 23, 2015 05:22 PM

Fetching the server list is the first time a new data source is able to test the connection parameters you entered: host name, database name, platform, etc.

When you get the message "An error occurred when fetching the server list" it generally means that something is wrong with your connection parameters.

Unfortunately I am not aware of any logging within Data Manager that describes which connection parameter is wrong.

Question 1: Can you use Oracle SQL Developer to test out your connection to the backend Tivoli database?

Question 2: What version of Tivoli are you accessing?  Is it version 6.2.2 or 6.3?

• 3.  Re: TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Posted Sep 23, 2015 05:57 PM

The Apache stderr log file might have insight as to if it was a connection refused, invalid login or table view does not exist.

Kip Lamb

Sr Principal Consultant, Presales

Upcoming OOO 8/17 – 8/28

CA Technologies | 13810 South East Eastgate Way Suite 500 | Bellevue, WA 98005

Office: +1 512 776 0235 | Mobile: +1 425 591 4358 | Kip.Lamb@ca.com

<mailto:Kip.Lamb@ca.com>[cid:image003.jpg@01D0F610.0497C7F0][cid:image002.png@01D0928A.5E056B60]

<http://www.ca.com/us/default.aspx>

• 4.  Re: TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Posted Sep 24, 2015 04:05 PM

Hi Kip

The massage in apache log file appears ORA-12505 ..  :

Caused by: oracle.net.ns.NetException: Listener refused the connection with the following error:

ORA-12505, TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor

at oracle.net.ns.NSProtocol.connect(NSProtocol.java:395)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.connect(T4CConnection.java:1102)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.logon(T4CConnection.java:320)

and:

com.hyperformix.DataGatherEngine.DataIntf.Common.DGEException: No suitable driver found for  jdbc:oracle:thin:@vipitmp.XXXXX.com.br:1521:ITMP

• 5.  Re: TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Posted Sep 24, 2015 04:35 PM

Thanks,

This is saying there is an issue with the database name. Did you try using just the service name itmp?

Sometimes they work different where you need the fully qualified name or not.

Can you share the data source connection parameters in Data Manager?

Also from that SQL developer session run this to see if you can get the server list:

select distinct "Server_Name" as component from "NT_Processor"

Kip Lamb

Sr Principal Consultant, Presales

Upcoming OOO 8/17 – 8/28

CA Technologies | 13810 South East Eastgate Way Suite 500 | Bellevue, WA 98005

Office: +1 512 776 0235 | Mobile: +1 425 591 4358 | Kip.Lamb@ca.com

<mailto:Kip.Lamb@ca.com>[cid:image001.jpg@01D0F6CD.03937B70][cid:image002.png@01D0928A.5E056B60]

• 6.  Re: TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Posted Sep 25, 2015 09:27 AM

HI Kip

This is saying there is an issue with the database name. Did you try using just the service name itmp?

Yes, I try ... but the same error occurs

Sometimes they work different where you need the fully qualified name or not.

Can you share the data source connection parameters in Data Manager?

yes :

datasource.png

select distinct "Server_Name" as component from "NT_Processor" :

NTPROCESSOR.png

• 7.  Re: TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Posted Sep 25, 2015 10:20 AM

Is the SQL Developer running on the Data Manager Server?

If not, then...

Can Data Manager PING the IP address and get a reply?

If yes, then there are more parameters you may need to add to that JDBC URL.

It is the Schema name, if you login with an ID that does not match the schema name you might need to add something like this...

(This example is for DB2, but I think you can do this for Oracle also.)

How to supply a schema name

When a data source is a database and is running on Oracle or DB2, you must supply the schema name so that the Data Adapters can access the database. If you cannot log on as the schema owner, perform the steps described in one of the following sections to supply the schema name to Data Manager.

Solution for DB2

When you add or edit a data source within the Data Manager user interface, you can specify the schema name using the JDBC URL (optional) field, as follows:

dbc:db2://hostName:port/database_name:currentSchema=SCHEMA_NAME;

For example,

jdbc:db2://host1.devlab.ca.com:50000/TDW:currentSchema=ITMUSER;

Important: Be aware of the following information

- The schema name is case sensitive and must be specified with all capital letters.

- The semicolon at the end of the statement is required. 

- The parameter currentSchema is case sensitive as shown.

David

• 8.  Re: TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Posted Sep 25, 2015 12:32 PM

Is the SQL Developer running on the Data Manager Server? Yes

Can Data Manager PING the IP address and get a reply?  Yes

tnsping_ping.png

I try this connection jdbc for oracle:

jdbc:oracle:thin:@10.30.154.148:1521/ITMP , "<USER>", "<password>"

But I don't sucess..

• 9.  Re: TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Posted Sep 25, 2015 01:44 PM

What is the latest error message in the log files from this attempt you documented above?

Are the error messages the same as before, or have they changed?

David

• 10.  Re: TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Posted Sep 25, 2015 02:12 PM

HI

David

The error was changed after I put JDBC Connection in datasource

D:\Program Files\CA\Capacity Command Center 2.9\ApacheTomcat\logs\cm:

2015-09-24 17:23:08,864 [http-apr-8081-exec-6] WARN org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils - No FormBeanConfig found under 'loginForm'

2015-09-25 09:25:45,721 [http-apr-8081-exec-4] WARN org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils - No FormBeanConfig found under 'loginForm'

2015-09-25 12:58:41,876 [http-apr-8081-exec-6] WARN org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils - No FormBeanConfig found under 'loginForm'

2015-09-25 13:01:00,527 [http-apr-8081-exec-1] WARN org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils - No FormBeanConfig found under 'loginForm'

2015-09-25 14:29:43,839 [http-apr-8081-exec-7] WARN org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils - No FormBeanConfig found under 'loginForm'

• 11.  Re: TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 25, 2015 02:12 PM

I am using

jdbc:oracle:thin:@(description=(address=(host=10.30.154.148)(protocol=tcp)(port=1521))(connect_data=(service_name=itmp.xxxxxxx.com.br)(server=DEDICATED)))

• 12.  Re: TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Posted Sep 25, 2015 02:30 PM

DAVID,

It´s working ... the DBA Guy implement the creation on an 'on logon' trigger.

and I am using the following jdbc conection :

jdbc:oracle:thin:@vipitmp.petrobras.com.br:1521/itmp.xxxxxxx.com.br

thx

• 13.  Re: TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Posted Sep 25, 2015 07:19 PM

Wow...I have never seen one that long before...is that what works?...or is it the one below after the Login Trigger?

• 14.  Re: TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Posted Sep 24, 2015 03:10 PM

Hi Richard,

Thx by your reply !

Question 1: Can you use Oracle SQL Developer to test out your connection to the backend Tivoli database?

Yes, I am using Oracle sql Developer with sucess !

itmp-orasql-developer.png

Question 2: What version of Tivoli are you accessing?  Is it version 6.2.2 or 6.3?

The version of Tivoli is 6.3 !

• 15.  Re: TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Posted Sep 24, 2015 05:30 AM

Following up on Kip and Richard's notes, a common occurrence for the ITM data adapter is that a read-only User ID is provided that does not match the schema name.  If this is the case, the logs should show that the connection occurs correctly but then there is a 'no data' or 'no object' found message when trying to execute the server_list_query.

See this link for information in the Admin Guide on how to specify a different username: Adding the Schema Name for DB2 Databases - CA Capacity Management - 2.9 - CA Technologies Documentation - it requires use of the custom JDBC URL field in the data source specification.

(This guidance works for all recent versions of CCC / DM - even if you are not on CCC 2.9, this should still work).

Regards,

Adrian

EDIT:  My apologies, I see you are using Oracle to host ITM.  Therefore, the link you need is Adding the Schema Name for Oracle Databases - CA Capacity Management - 2.9 - CA Technologies Documentation - this requires creation on an 'on logon' trigger.

• 16.  Re: TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Posted Sep 24, 2015 03:39 PM

ops... make sense...

Let me check with DBA Guy

thx

• 17.  Re: TIVOLI "An error occurred when fetching the server list"

Posted Sep 25, 2015 01:30 AM

One final word of caution - our Tivoli data adapter does not fully support version Tivoli 6.3.

I'm not sure if we have a problem with "Tivoli ITM 6.2.2 Linux" or if we have a problem with one of the other 3 Tivoli data adapters.

It might be worthwhile to open a case with our support organization to see if the "Tivoli ITM 6.2.2 Linux" data adapter will work with Tivoli 6.3,