Layer7 API Management

• 1.  API Gateway default Policy Assertions missing after new install : "Unknown Assertion"

Posted Oct 01, 2015 09:51 AM

Hi,

I've just starting using the CA API Gateway Policy Manager thick client and am having an "installation" issue (this is my first time using the tool).

Essentially, after installing on my workstation in the default location (to which I do have admin rights; win7 x64 with 8gb), upon loading up the application and connection to my non-production region, I have no default/CA-provided Policy Assertions in the "Identity Providers Tab". (see below)

CA API Gateway - Policy Manager_2015-10-01_14-30-54.png

It's completely empty and when I then open up an existing deployed policy from one of my colleagues, everything in the main working screen shows up as "Unknown Assertion"; basically the underlying policy library doesn't exist so I cannot do anything.  One of my other teammates has the same issue but 2 others do not.

I have been struggling with this for the past day but cannot see why this is happening.  The only clue I have is a difference between the "ssm0.log" files in ".l7tech".

Mine shows this upon boot-up and successful connection to my non-prod region :

Oct 01, 2015 1:35:06 PM com.l7tech.console.security.SecurityProvider refreshPermissionCache

INFO: Loaded 6 permissions.

Oct 01, 2015 1:35:06 PM com.l7tech.console.wc onAuthSuccess

WARNING: Unable to update modular assertions: java.lang.NullPointerException.

Whereas my colleague with all the default Policies shows this :

Sep 18, 2015 6:46:17 PM com.l7tech.console.security.SecurityProvider refreshPermissionCache

INFO: Loaded 6 permissions.

Sep 18, 2015 6:46:17 PM com.l7tech.console.policy.h run

INFO: Registering remote assertion com.l7tech.external.assertions.splitjoin.JoinAssertion

INFO: Registering remote assertion com.l7tech.external.assertions.splitjoin.SplitAssertion

INFO: Registering remote assertion com.l7tech.external.assertions.policybundleinstaller.PolicyBundleInstallerAssertion

INFO: Registering remote assertion com.l7tech.external.assertions.manipulatemultivaluedvariable.ManipulateMultiValuedVariableAssertion

etc

As I said, I am new to this so am not sure *where* the default Policy Assertions come from : do them come from the installation itself or off the policy server I'm connecting to?  If the latter, then it makes sense as perhaps I do not have some permissions setup.

Any help or guidance someone could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

• 2.  Re: API Gateway default Policy Assertions missing after new install : "Unknown Assertion"
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 01, 2015 07:59 PM

Policy Assertions reside on the Gateway (server side).  The Policy Manager is simply a view into the Gateway's configuration.  A few questions/suggestions:

1. Is this an appliance (virtual or hardware) or a software Gateway you're connecting to?

2. Are you connecting to the same Gateway as those who can see the assertions in the Policy Manager?  If not, is the Gateway you're connecting to licensed?  If not licensed this is likely why you aren't seeing any assertions.  You can check this in the Policy Manager > Help > Manage Gateway Licenses menu.

3. Are you all using the same user account or different user accounts to log in?

4. When you log in what does the Gateway log say:  You can see this in the Policy Manager > View > View Logs menu or from the command line at: /opt/SecureSpan/Gateway/node/default/var/logs/ssg_0_0.log .  This might give you more information that the client side log.

Cheers,

Julian

• 3.  Re: API Gateway default Policy Assertions missing after new install : "Unknown Assertion"

Posted Oct 04, 2015 11:40 PM

I have faced the same problem when my gateway licenses is not installed/expired. Assertions will not be visible if a valid SSG license is not installed.

As JulianPhillips pointed out, open "Manage Gateway Licenses" and check if a valid license is installed.

Regards,

Ganesh Reddy