DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

webservices monitoring

• 1.  webservices monitoring

Posted Oct 02, 2015 10:38 AM

Dears,

We are using CA APM 9.6 and have installed tomcat agents on 5 service desk servers to monitor it.

I have used tomcat-full file for directives, but i dont see webservices related metrics in the introscope.

Is anything I am missing here? Do I have to copy the SOAP ext also to ext directory of agent?

Regards

Ajit C

• 2.  Re: webservices monitoring

Posted Oct 02, 2015 11:16 AM

can you check your Agent logs for spm.pbl and the contained directives being loaded?  if it is, and no errors, then check autoprobe logs to verify the web services framework..perhaps it is not something instrumented OOTB by the SOA PM.

• 3.  Re: webservices monitoring

Posted Oct 02, 2015 03:57 PM

Yes, Janelle is correct. Make sure you have corrected deployed SOA Performance Manager.

That means:

Adding spm.pbl to the list of your directive files in your Agent.profile

Making sure you have copied BoundaryOnlyTrace.jar and WebServicesAgent.jar in your Agent’s ext folder (you will find these in the wily/examples/SOAPerformanceManagement/ext folder)

Regs,

Florian.

• 4.  Re: webservices monitoring

Posted Oct 04, 2015 03:06 AM

thanks guys for reply, but once i copied BoundaryOnlyTrace.jar and WebServicesAgent.jar in your Agent’s ext folder do i have to restart the application services?

Will it be applicable for any application which has webservices? I am monitoring CA Service Desk.

Regards

Ajit C

• 5.  Re: webservices monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2015 05:00 PM
    Yes you need to restart managed applications when enable/disable extensions.

• 6.  Re: webservices monitoring

Posted Oct 05, 2015 01:17 AM

Okay thanks Davis, will try. Also after copying the above said two jar file do I have to add spm.pbl in "introscope.autoprobe.directivesFile="

Regards

Ajit C

• 7.  Re: webservices monitoring

Posted Oct 22, 2015 10:34 AM

Hello AjitC,

I am also monitoring the Service Desk.

But I have a problem. I wonder if you have this problem or if it's just to me what happens :-)

I just can monitor the servicedesk if using port 8080. eg http://machine:8080/CAisd/pdmweb.exe

If i use the port 80 (used frequently) it doesn't capture transactions. e.g.http://machine/CAisd/pdmweb.exe

The same is true if you use the balancing address. e.g. http://servicedesk/

It is normal?

• 8.  Re: webservices monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 22, 2015 10:43 AM

Hi,

Just jumping in here, I'm not sure about ServiceDesk architecture but I'm assuming that if you are accessing port 8080, you will be definitely exercising Tomcat which would be monitored by our Java Agent.

If you are accessing port 80, perhaps that request goes into a static HTTP server, for example Apache HTTP server, and that is not actually monitored by the Java agent because it isn't written in Java.

Or whichever server is listening on port 80 is still written in Java but it has different startup parameters.

Basically, I would guess that whatever is listening on port 8080 is not what is also listening on port 80, and that only port 8080 process is actually a Java process and monitored by Introscope.

Thanks,

David

• 9.  Re: webservices monitoring

Posted Oct 23, 2015 01:17 AM

Hi,

Even in my env i am having similar kind of issue, but it may be because here SD architecture is like

tomcat is getting use for various other client interface along with server webservices such as login, logout, create request etc. and end user connect to service desk via IIS which is on 80.

So what i have observed in such env as databases call which are happening after end user connects to the service desk is not getting captured in Introscope as i could see only asset related queries in the metrics of backends and that too hardly 4 and even those queries are not persistent.

Regards

Ajit C

• 10.  Re: webservices monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 23, 2015 02:18 PM

Have you tried installing a.NET agent to monitor IIS? Or is it just used a pass-through to a C/C++ process? I'm not very familiar with the SD architecture.

• 11.  Re: webservices monitoring

Posted Oct 26, 2015 06:00 AM

Hi Guenter,

I thought to install .NET as well, but since there is already a java agent running and that too on production server we are little bit in worry whether it will increase utilization on server or not...

• 12.  Re: webservices monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2015 07:01 PM

"So what i have observed in such env as databases call which are happening after end user connects to the service desk is not getting captured in Introscope as i could see only asset related queries in the metrics of backends and that too hardly 4 and even those queries are not persistent."

Yes you cannot monitor SD backends as not written in C# or Java e.g. CA Service Desk Instrumentation with Wily APM