Plex 2E

Expand all | Collapse all

Anyone interested in a community webcast on APIs?

• 1.  Anyone interested in a community webcast on APIs?

Posted Oct 06, 2015 06:18 PM

Hey folks,

Anyone interested in a community webcast on APIs?

Anyone keen to share or explore what we are all doing with APIs?

How can they help?

What pain do we see?

Cheers,

Simon

Simon Cockayne

CA Technologies

• 2.  Re: Anyone interested in a community webcast on APIs?

Posted Oct 07, 2015 09:00 AM

Nice to see you slumming with us here Simon,

For the avoidance of doubt, I assume you refer to the plethora, the wealth, the cornucopia of Application Program Interfaces we now enjoy on the IBM I   platform?  and not the API's that exist for other tooling, or the 'jump on the bandwagon' so called API's which vendors self proclaim?

Me?  Well, I've spent some time trying to find a comfortable, simple, repeatable way to integrate the use of an IBM i API into 2e, and whilst its doable, it has to be said that it's lumpy.

The expectation set by the simplicity and clarity of 2e out of the box is high, and having to resort to user source, and plug bits of user source into a function in the right places seems slow and unwieldy, whilst intellectually interesting,  compared to the productive and relatively error free use of the base 2e product.   Adding some facilities to integrate calls to API's (or user produced procedures) with the simplicity and accuracy we expect of 2e would be a major step forward, so yes, I'd be interested in more information.

• 3.  Re: Anyone interested in a community webcast on APIs?

Posted Oct 07, 2015 11:52 AM

Hey Richard,

Thanks for the reply.

I did not intend to constrain the conversation to any product or platform.

Just wanted to see who was interested in exploring the value/pain/happiness of APIs.

So far 38 people have viewed my question and we have seen just one response.

I am trying to fathom what that means.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon Cockayne

CA Technologies

• 4.  Re: Anyone interested in a community webcast on APIs?

Posted Oct 08, 2015 05:31 AM

Always good to hear from you

Maybe too broad a question?  

Every thing claims to be an API nowadays.  There are guys here who write a program, and as soon as it's called from another program it becomes 'an API' when they talk about it.

• 5.  Re: Anyone interested in a community webcast on APIs?

Posted Oct 07, 2015 09:42 PM

I find API a great Idea, Unfortunately we have to explain it to our management to try to get them to buy in   I am currently using stored procedure and ADO to connect to database and model programs, I can see it would be better with API, we also use WCF to connect to windows server that connects to i via ADO for our external clients, seems we could go direct to i. What would the likely cost of this be.

• 6.  Re: Anyone interested in a community webcast on APIs?

Posted Oct 09, 2015 04:21 PM

Hey NickROz,

If you are trying to persuade folks of the value of APIs, check out the rich and compelling material here:

API Design and Strategy | API Academy

I don't have enough information to give you a cost estimate.  If you want me to explore this further, drop me an email and we can schedule a call.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon Cockayne

Sr Principal Product Manager

Product Owner: CA App Services Orchestrator

Twitter: @simoncockayne

• 7.  Re: Anyone interested in a community webcast on APIs?

Posted Oct 10, 2015 05:13 AM

Hi Simon -

API was last year, This year it's microservices !

Just kidding ... A webcast about API's (in the sense outlined by the CA API academy) for Plex and 2E users is great, if it covers a real life implementation using the tools supplied with the latest CA Plex or 2E releases.

Best regards

Lorenz

• 8.  Re: Anyone interested in a community webcast on APIs?

Posted Oct 10, 2015 09:08 AM

Present client looked at Microservices two years ago but concluded in this case the IBM i monolithic application (Plex and Native) was best served by reducing the complexity by an API approach instead of moving the complexity via microservices up the calling stack. I will stay on the fence and say there is a place for both in today's architectural landscape.

• 9.  Re: Anyone interested in a community webcast on APIs?

Posted Oct 12, 2015 10:32 AM

Hey Lorenz,

I'd love to hear about a real life implementation of APIs built with Plex/2E.

If you (or anyone) would like to share there real life API experiences, please let me know and we can explore how we might share with the community.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon Cockayne

Sr Principal Product Manager

Product Owner: CA App Services Orchestrator

Twitter: @simoncockayne

• 10.  Re: Anyone interested in a community webcast on APIs?

Posted Oct 13, 2015 08:09 AM

Thank you for downloading - API-led Connectivity | MuleSoft

Microservices are a hot topic amongst enterprise architecture leaders. In our view, we believe that microservices not only validate a service oriented approach but are in fact one interpretation of how that approach should be implemented, by taking the need for well-defined services and re-usability to an extreme. In doing so, it highlights the need for governance, and that successful implementation must also consider nontechnology factors such as development processes and methodologies. In this way, the principles and approach behind API-led connectivity are entirely consistent with a Microservices approach and vice versa.

• 11.  Re: Anyone interested in a community webcast on APIs?

Posted Oct 12, 2015 08:43 AM

I came to this post because I am interested in more API discussion.  But we use CAPC and so when I came to this discussion I learned this is not CAPC.  Maybe many others ran into the same thing?

• 12.  Re: Anyone interested in a community webcast on APIs?

• 13.  Re: Anyone interested in a community webcast on APIs?

Posted Oct 22, 2015 01:45 PM

I think that the IT community is going to the direction. Something that it easier to consume as need from B2B and B2C. Here the first most importance is Business to Business consummation in the ongoing transfer of information.

So the sharing of and understanding  of where API's are going would be good.

Regards,

Louis

• 14.  Re: Anyone interested in a community webcast on APIs?

Posted Oct 24, 2015 02:41 PM

well the company i work for just chose mule unbeknown to me unsurprising enough, just saw it in an email. never given the opportunity to mention CA solutions. laters