DX NetOps

• 1.  Devices will poll on one landscape but not the other

Posted Oct 07, 2015 12:58 PM

Hello all, this has been ongoing for quite some time since we upgraded our databases from Spectrum 9.1 to 9.2 in order to convert the database, and then from 9.2 to 9.4.

I am running a DSS environment with 2 servers per landscape, and 2 landscapes total.  The first landscape will ping and poll using SNMP without an issue, and will even ping and poll devices that were being monitored under the second landscape, therefore the SNMP commands are entered in the devices correctly.  However I am only able to ping any device from the second landscape.  I am constantly receiving the error "Unsuccessful: Unable to contact <DEVICENAME> via the management protocol."

I have used MIBTools and verified that I am fully able to poll any device and pull SNMP information while using the first landscape, no matter what device was being polled.  MIBTools also verified that no matter what device was polled using the second landscape, I receive the error,

"SNMP request timed out.

Device: <ip address>

Port: 161

Version: SNMP v3

V3 Profile: <correct profile>

Landscape: <second landscape>

Secure Domain: None"

Just to be accurate, the settings shown on the error above match the settings on the first landscape that works.

Although extremely long winded, I hope someone can be of assistance.  Thank you in advance.

Tim

• 2.  Re: Devices will poll on one landscape but not the other

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 07, 2015 09:36 PM

Hi Tim,

Assuming that this Spectrum installation has worked before, and you migrated Spectrum to a new host, ACL to protect SNMP access could be one possibly root cause.

Have you tried another SNMP tool from the problematic landscape host? You can use the sapwalk2 utility. Download from ftp://ftp.ca.com/CAproducts/CA-SPECTRUM/Tools/sapwalk2/

Thanks,

Silvio

• 3.  Re: Devices will poll on one landscape but not the other

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 09, 2015 11:01 AM

Hi Tim,

Is port 161 being bound by another process? For instance, is there an SNMP service running on the SpectroSERVER that may have bound the port?

Best regards,

Bill