Clarity

• 1.  CA PPM Development/Enhancement Work Estimation

Posted Oct 12, 2015 01:44 PM

Anyone have an Excel spreadsheet macro or other tool for estimating CA PPM development/enhancement work effort or have estimates in free-form for custom development that they would be willing to share?

Looking for something like:

Develop simple complexity report - x hours

Develop medium complexity report - x hours

Develop complex report - x hours

Develop simple complexity portlet - x hours

Develop medium complexity report - x hours

Develop complex portlet - x hours

Upgrade simple complexity report (ver 12 to 14.x) - x hours

Upgrade medium complexity report (ver 12 to 14.x) - x hours

Upgrade complex report (ver 12 to 14.x)

Thanks,

Sam

• 2.  Re: CA PPM Development/Enhancement Work Estimation

Posted Oct 27, 2015 11:28 AM

Its a tricky "how long is a piece of sting" sort of question.

In an agile world, you wouldn't worry too much about all this though ; you should break your "things" down into those simple/medium/complex buckets, prioritise them into sprints, start doing stuff and then start learning how quickly you can do it all...

Also need to consider what you mean by "develop" - is requirements/documentation/testing part of your "estimate".

If you want some arbitrary numbers, 3 days for simple stuff 10 days for medium stuff, 20 days for complex stuff ("all-in").

• 3.  Re: CA PPM Development/Enhancement Work Estimation

Posted Oct 27, 2015 01:39 PM

Thanks for your response Dave.

I was looking for some estimates for the work based on members experiences with those (reports, portlets, etc.).  I had seen an Excel macro spreadsheet which was built to provide development effort for HP PPMC work.  I wondered if there was a similar estimating spreadsheet known by the community for CA PPM work estimates.

For the HP PPM estimation tool, you entered the # of workflows, request types, reports, complexity, etc. and other factors such as data conversion or third party integration, and it calculated a rough hours estimate and timeline based on number of developers available to do the work.  You entered the Initiate, Deploy, and Training hours separately and it had a tab on the spreadsheet where you could adjust factors based on size of effort and whether it was an initial, subsequent, or upgrade project.

Are your estimates of 3,10, and 20 days based on developing CA PPM reports and portlets and does it include the requirements gathering, documentation, testing, and deployment effort?

Thanks,

Sam

• 4.  Re: CA PPM Development/Enhancement Work Estimation
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 27, 2015 02:08 PM

^ sorry ; yes - thats what I meant by "all-in" (and I've been doing this for 10 years now) - but numbers are still very very vague.

If you have a spreadsheet that works for you, I'd just use that (irrespective of whether its for a different tool) - whatever you use will always be wrong, but estimates are estimates (one of the advantages of agile I feel is the lack of worrying about all that up-front estimating)

• 5.  Re: CA PPM Development/Enhancement Work Estimation

Posted Oct 27, 2015 02:21 PM

Thanks Dave!